View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm 
Downloaded the .iso, checked the MD5 checksum, tried to install without spash screen. After

Code:
Will use nVidia
installing current nvidia drivers
> setting database value HostNETMASKeth0 to /24   255.255.255.0 for larch 5
> setting database value HostGWeth0 to 192.168.15.1 for larch 5
> setting database value HostDNSeth0 to 192.168.0.1 for larch 5
> setting database value HostIPath0 to 192.168.0.6 for larch 5
> setting database value HostNETMASKath0 to /24   255.255.255.0 for larch 5
> setting database value HostGWath0 to 192.168.0.1 for larch 5
> setting database value HostDNSath0 to 209.18.47.61 for larch 5

I get thrown out to a command prompt, and the screen flickers about once every 15 seconds or so.

I open /var/log/everything.log, and what looks suspicious to me is this:

Code:
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  185.18.36
vmap allocation failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size
NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed!  (0x26: 0xffffffff: 1096)
NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0)

Repeat the last three lines (vmap; NVRM; NVRM) at 15 second intervals - seems to coincide with the flickering of the screen...

Help would be greatly appreciated, I'm completely DOA otherwise...

John Latz
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MSI K9N2G NEO-FD
nVidia GeForce 8200
AMD Athlon x2 5050e
Hauppague HVR-1600

Last edited by johnlatz on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Kernel.log
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:13 pm 
In /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

Code:
NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:2:0:0
NVIDIA(0):      Please check your system's kernel log for additional error
NVIDIA(0):      messages and refer to Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
NVIDIA(0):      README for additional information
NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
UnloadModule:  "nvidia"
UnloadModule:  "wfb"
UnloadModule:  "fb"
Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:31 pm 
I ran into this problem as well. Check /var/log/kernel.log and see if you have something like this:

Code:
Oct 17 19:04:54 paulsid-tv vmap allocation failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
Oct 17 19:04:54 paulsid-tv NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1096)
Oct 17 19:04:54 paulsid-tv NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed

If so, add vmalloc=192M to the end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst and reboot.

After I did this X worked fine. I was even able to reuse my old xorg.conf, just had to comment out the "RgbPath" line as the new X in R6 doesn't like this. YMMV on that one though depending on what's in your config.

BTW Adding the vmalloc option is no surprise here, I had to do it on both R5F27 and R5.5 as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:47 pm 
Oops, upon rereading, it looks like you are getting this when booting the installer off CD? My bad. It's probably the same problem I don't know if there is a way to provide that option on CD bootup.

For me the installer hung completely using the normal way, however I went to Debug Options and then picked the console install (no X) and it worked. The VESA install (under Special Hardware) also worked, so try either of those and see if you can get further.

BTW I suspect there's a good chance you'll still have to do the vmalloc thing after installing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:54 am 
Yep, I'm horked on trying to boot off the 6.01 installer CD. I'll try the console based install (when I get a break from the kids) next to see if that works.

But here's my question - it appears the real issue isn't necessarily the default vmalloc size, but the fact the installer script is failing to obtain the requested drivers for my nVidia graphics. Is that going to be a problem?

Post subject: Where I am tonight
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:16 pm 
I'm a dead man...

I've got two disks in my box, one of which had a largely working install of R5.5. I planned to install R6 on the second drive, and use the two "heads" to run the existing R5.5 setup until R6 was configured and reliable, at which time I'd promote R6 to production. Did I mention I have two children, three and one, who have no concept of TV schedules, or commercials, or finding the DVD? As of now, I can't get either system up and running - Mama's going to kill me.

I installed LinHES via the non-X-required path suggested earlier. Seems to have worked. However, when I set my BIOS to boot from the R6 hard drive, I get the error described here <http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20291>: L99 99 99 99 99 99 99... When I set my BIOS to boot from the R5.5 hard drive - the presumably untouched R5.5 system - GRUB launches, I get the LinHES selection screen, but it farts saying "file not found". Its almost as if LILO & GRUB are installed in the wrong disks...

What I think I'm going to do tomorrow night is investigate the LinHES selection screen some more. I suspect if I force it to choose (hd1, 0) instead of (hd0, 0), I might get LinHES to start. Have no clue how I'm going to be able to return to my R5.5 setup.

The good news is I was able to mount sda1 & sda3 (from my R5.5 disk), and sdb1 & sdb3 (from my R6 disk) when I run a Live CD, and it appears all my data is still there...

G'nite for now. Any suggestions, thoughts, words of wisdom would be incredibly appreciated (particularly how to unscrew the LILO/GRUB issues and get my R5.5 system back).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:52 am 
Site Admin
You can return to R5.5 by doing an auto upgrade using the R5.5 CD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:39 pm 
Ran the recover option from the R5.5 disk to bring my old system back to life. That made that disk bootable again, but when I tried to recover from backups, it did recover my database (it was an old backup from July, so most of the shows it had were already deleted from my system - but at least I know it recovered), but all of my settings and customizations and homebrew scripts are gone.

I'm very slowly rebuilding everything by hand - I use wireless, so I had to remember where to set up ath0; had to build and install the cx18 driver for my HVR-1600 (still haven't tried to set up the card yet), I remember having to rebuild and install the alsa system to deal with an audio problem I was having months ago. And in the midst of all of this, I picked up the "c7 respawning too fast" error and I can't remember what I had done to squash that bug (I've checked my xorg.conf file with the backup I recovered from the tarball - I've copied it over even - doesn't help). Since that kills my display, until that gets fixed, I'm stopped.

So, for now, I've put that aside with the hope that I can install and configure R6 relatively easily. First thing, I unplugged my SATA cable to the R5.5 hard drive, for one to protect it from an inadvertent keystroke, and second to insure no difficulty between lilo (R5.5) and grub (R6). I've had to install via the no-X option for LinHES (install still hangs if I try either of the two first options on the install CD), and it seemed to work - though it did hang an INTERMINABLY long time at 35% complete: an hours walk to the market long time.

When I get back, the screen says "preparing for life". Good. Eventually "push enter for reboot". Great! It tries...

I'm now staring at the following:
Code:
/usr/sbin/alsactl:  load state:1579: Cannot open /etc/asound.state for reading: No such file or directory
:: Starting Hal
Unknown hardware:  "HDA-Intel" "Realtek ALC-888" "HDA:10ec0888,14627511,00100001" "0x1462" "0x7511"
Hardware is initialized using a guess method

:: Starting Hal
>    24 Oct 13:09:34 ntpdate[4844]: adjust time server 128.10.252.6 offset 0.302870 sec
which: no totem-video-thumbnailer in (/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin)
/usr/bin/tablet-encode
which: no 770-encode in (/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin)
mediaserv running at http://192.168.15.101:8090
Parent daemon running

And she's dead, Jim. Suspect it is something to do with the hardware abstraction layer and my audio system? That's just a guess on my part. Haven't been able to ssh into the box because it is on a segregated net from the rest of my machines - I could either boot from a Knoppix Live-CD and look at the log files, or try to get in by moving over one of my regular computers onto this net if someone can point me in the right direction what to look for.

Any help, as always, is appreciated. Box config in 1st post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm 
John,

Have you tried to boot to the command line with the LinHES live CD and configure X11 one of the traditional ways? "Xorg --configure" or something like that?

If you can get that working, I'm pretty sure you can manually kick off the install program by running /usr/mythtv/bin/MythVantage

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:31 am 
Thanks! Will try that next.

As I was googling everything I could think of this weekend, I came across a line of threads complaining about Hauppauge HVR-1600 cards conflicting with nVidia video unless you do the vmalloc=256M trick in your bootloader config. Could that be the cause of my problems trying to install from the R6 Live-CD? Would it be worthwhile to try to hack the iso to insert this into the grub config file, burn a new CD and try to install it that way?

Got my R5.5 side up and into production this weekend, so the kids are happy. Might take me a couple of nights to dink with the R6 side again now that the pressure's off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:45 pm 
Heh that was probably my thread. I've been through installs of R5F27, R5.5, and now R6, and in every case the HVR-1600 did not get along with the nvidia drivers under the default settings. The difference with R6 is that it seems to use them both during the installation, whereas it never affected the others until after install, on the first boot.

Anyhow it looks like your R6 install may actually have worked. That is the same screen (at least the bottom part) that I got when I first loaded R6, before I'd done the vmalloc thing. Did you try simply pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 at that point to switch to a terminal?

If you can do that you can login and change the grub config file on your box to add in the vmalloc stuff. While there you'll also probably want to update your xorg.conf (see other threads), and after that and a reboot you should be golden, or at least in much better shape.

P.S. Apologies for what I now see was a rather ignorant reply earlier... was admittedly too caught up with my own R6 upgrade problems to get my head fully into someone else's. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:37 pm 
Actually, it was easier than booting from a LiveCD - since my box is back in production with R5.5 on the other hard drive, I simply mounted /dev/sda1 and edited /media/sda1/boot/grub/menu.list to add "vmalloc=256M" to each kernel line. Did that a couple of nights ago, finally had time during naps to set the bios to boot from that disk, and she started up without a hitch.

Took some time, not much, to dink around with the R6 install (no experience to date with Arch Linux). During the install, I remember entering in all the requested info for my wireless card manually, and can find entries for ath0 in /etc/systemconfig but when I inquire with ifconfig, there's no entry for ath0. Need to dig into that some.

But I'm also contemplating completely blowing away ('rm -rf /') my R6 install, and making a copy of my R5.5 installation on the R6 disk, then trying to "upgrade" the duplicate R5.5 setup. I've just invested a decent chunk of time reconfiguring everything the way I wanted it - I'm doubting I'd want to repeat the process if I can just upgrade & take advantage of everything I've done.

Definitely want to keep beast two headed until I've got R6 set up the way I want.