View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:04 pm 
Hi, I am finally doing an upgrade to R6.01 from R5.5. The "Upgrading System" part of the installation went smoothly, then it got to the "preparing for life" part where it just sat there with the progress thingy going back and forth. I looked on Ctrl+Alt+F6 and the last line was "Restoring Database" so I left it for a while because I have a very large database.

It's been over 3 hours so I finally did some digging in a console window and it turns out that the script "restore_km_db_chroot.sh" is continuously stopping and restarting MySQL; I learned this by doing a tail -f on tmp/chroot.db.

Can't find anything related to that script here or on Flyspay but I'm guessing this isn't a normal part of the restore process. So if I stop the upgrade, what is my next step? Do I need to rerun the installer? If not, how can I complete the database restore and whatever else needs to be done? I'm just not sure what to do next and I don't want to hose anything as this is my production system.

I booted from CD and chose Upgrade and Do_not_format in the installer. The only unusual step is I had to use the option to boot from CD without X as that was hanging. Database backup is fresh from this afternoon and was copied to /root/backup per tjc's suggestion in another thread.

Last edited by paulsid on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:39 am 
Okay I finally caved and killed it. Rerunning upgrade gave same results. Was able to boot the system, but not into X. Discovered fstab was stripped and only had the install partition, despite my having upgraded it to use UUIDs. Restored that from backup, along with the /etc/hosts file which was also stripped. That got the filesystems working and X going but MySQL still wouldn't start.

After some more digging I think I have found the root cause: I have /var setup as a separate partition from / but this was not preserved during the upgrade; /var was kept as part of /. As such it had none of the old stuff in it, like the database.

I moved the MySQL stuff from my old /var to the new one. I also had to chown some mysql-related folders, and then finally I was able to start it.

So now the backend and frontend come up and I can even watch a recording, but the system is in a weird state of limbo. None of the shortcut keys work, and I have no idea what else is missing or incomplete that the upgrade would have finished.

Tomorrow I am going to try moving my old /var back under / and then rerunning the upgrade to see if it will get all the way through this time. Will update afterwards. However if it doesn't work I am going to need some help to complete the rest of the upgrade manually... if that's even possible! *shudder*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:10 pm 
Moving /var back didn't work, the upgrade still got stuck trying to start MySQL. And also during the process something got changed and now my keyboard doesn't work in X, so I can't even watch recordings now. I've gone back to my original xorg.conf, which the new X doesn't like, so at least it'll fail and I can use a console terminal to work on the system, but that's as far as I can go.

All the data's intact and I have all the major configs and the database backed up, but I do not know what to do now. What should I do next? I've got almost 2TB of stored video that I don't want to lose. Am I screwed?

P.S. Edited the original subject for accuracy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:42 pm 
When I booted the CD again to look at my options, I noticed the comment at the bottom that says Upgrade only wipes the first partition. Figured I could live with that so I did a full backup of / and then tried the Upgrade without picking Do_not_format this time, and it made it all the way through!

After reboot I still had to restore my fstab and old network configs, and I fixed the problem with X by adding "vmalloc=192M" to the kernel boot options and commenting out the "RgbPath" lline in my original config. After doing that and rebooting again, the frontend came up and all the shortcut keys even worked!

Not everything that was working before is working now (e.g. lirc) but at least the system is stable and it should just be a matter of reconfiguration now. Then I have a brand new Hauppauge HD PVR to add in, which is why I did the upgrade in the first place. :)

Marking as SOLVED. Will open a flyspray ticket on the problem with Do_not_format when I have a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:39 pm 
Finally got around to opening the Flyspray ticket on this...
http://linhes.org/flyspray/index.php?do ... ask_id=587