View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Install won't complete
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:10 pm 
Hi;

I've been struggling with Knoppmyth for a few days now, but can't seem to get it solid.

Just as some background, I had Myth .11 working on my machine for several months. Took weeks to get it working, starting from scratch, didn't want to go through all that again, so I wiped the hd (to my horror realized that I didn't back up mythconverg!) and thought I'd try the "easy" route with Knoppmyth.

The 1st problem was getting the boot CD read properly by the computer. I downloaded the .iso on my Windows PC, burned it using Nero first onto a CD-R, and tried to boot the PC with it. Couldn't get it to complete, so I tried a CD-RW. That wouldn't complete either, so I tried burning it slower. That wouldn't complete either, so I changed the CD-ROM drive on the Myth computer. Using that wouldn't complete either, so I left it in it's incomplete state and went on to try and complete it manually.

Spent a few days trying to fix what wasn't installed, but now realize that there's just too much that doesn't work. I could probably continue to manually fix what's missing, but my biggest problem right now is that mythfrontend locks up and I can't figure out why.

I think I want to try and get Knoppmyth to install properly from the boot CD, but I need to know how to verify that it's burned correctly. I used Nero on my Win PC to burn the .ISO, but Nero doesn't allow you to "verify" a burn that isn't ISO9660.

Is there a way that I can verify that the burn is correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:17 am 
Did you verify the MD5SUM after downloading?

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:15 am 
Yes I did. It matched.

I'm pretty sure the burn is fine and the problem is the computer locking up part way through the installation.

Is there a log file generated that I can check to see at what point the lockup happens?

Alternately, is there a way to run the scripts manually to see what it's having a problem with?

As I figured some hard lockups are due to hardware conflicts, I also tried moving my PVR-250 to another slot. Made no difference, and now that I think about it, it makes sense, since I ran Myth .11 for a long time without ever a lockup with the PVR card in that same slot.

How should I proceed to troubleshoot this problem?

-Andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:13 am 
Anyone?

Post subject: HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:06 am 
Help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:48 am 
Perhaps more details about you hardware setup might provide some insight. Is PnP off in the BIOS? Perhaps knoppmyth noapic at the splash screen on boot.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:25 pm 
Thanks for your reply!
I know you're busy and I don't mind figuring this out myself if there is an install log that I can check or manually run the install steps to see where it gets hung up. If that's not possible, then I guess I'll have to rely on your (and perhaps others) help. TIA!

My mythTV setup is as follows, ask if you need more details:

MB: Asus P3W (intel i810 chipset)
CPU: PIII-450
RAM: 256meg
HD: hda: 6g, hdc: 120g (if I get it running I'll mount /myth on hdc)
Video: on-board i810 graphics
Tuner: Hauppage WinTV PVR-250
DVD: Hitachi M1212

Problem details:
It hangs while or after formatting hda. (I'm pretty sure it's after, but it takes so long I don't sit and watch the screen) I do know that the screen at some point goes black, and it is loading some more stuff from the CD, so I assume it's finished the format by then, otherwise it wouldn't be loading things from the CD. Once the screen goes black, moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard doesn't bring it back. It keeps loading from the CD for a little bit, then completely locks. Even pressing numlock on the keyboard doesn't work, so the system is completely locked up at that point.

I also tried the "upgrade" selection in the KnoppMyth install screen which I think doesn't re-format hda, just in case something was up with that hd. I don't think the hd is the issue. It still locks up.

Anything else I can tell you?

To answer your questions:
PnP in the BIOS is off.
At the splash screen, where it says "Boot:" (I think) I usually have to type "tv" (not "knoppmyth tv") so it doesn't try to use 1024x768 which my monitor doesn't support. Do I type "knoppmyth tv noapic" or what exactly?
I don't know if it's related, but after I type "tv", the next screen stops and asks me to press "return" to show a list of text resolutions. I always select "0". BTW - I've had to do that for every installation of Knoppix I've ever done. It seems it doesn't detect the text resolutions on my system properly. The knoppix installs go fine after that. It's the KnoppMyth install that seems to get hung up.

Augh!

-Andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:10 pm 
knoppmyth tv noapic
Perhaps there is a problem w/ you 6 gig drive that cause it to hang while formating. You can do a manual install, follow the instructions and set /myth as /dev/hdcX, I'd also recommend /cache on /dev/hdcX. You can also try to format it before attempting to install, then do a manual install. After the system boots, <ctrl><alt><f2> then cfdisk.

cesman

Post subject: Success!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:17 pm 
Thanks for your help.

It ended up being an issue with me moving my mouse while the install was happening. I found that once I touched my mouse, the keyboard and mouse would stop responding, even though KnoppMyth kept installing. My screen blanked probably due to some power-saving thing, and I think the install script was waiting for me to press "return" to reboot. Since the keyboard and mouse were locked up, I couldn't comply!
After the install was completed, my mouse is fine and I can use it while running myth and in Xterm.

Anyway, I now have it installed, I was able to complete the manual-install without the computer locking up.

However, I did have to do several things manually. These things may be items to look into in v5.

1. The install never created the mount points for /cache and /myth. Had to create the directories and add the mounts manually to /etc/fstab, then re-run the install for the subdirectories to be created.

2. Had to manually modify XF86Config-4 to remove the 1024x768 resolutions for my monitor. Would be good if the install program would ask what resolution you would like to run at.

3. Had to manually modify ZapListings.pm to get my listings set up properly. Needed to be done before setup-mythtv is run or I wouldn't be able to select my provider. (Known issue)

4. Had to modify KnoppMyth-run and remove the xawtv references to keep my PVR from muting.

In addition, some other programs I thought were to be installed with KnoppMyth are not installed or at least not working. I would like to know how to install and activate these programs.

1. ntp: Seems that KnoppMyths install program is supposed to run /usr/bin/KnoppMyth-ntp, except that script doesn't exist.

2. samba: If it's installed, it's not active, as I cannot see my Myth computer on my Windows network.

-Andy.

Post subject: Re: Success!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:31 am 
Mr.X wrote:
Thanks for your help.
You're welcome.
Mr.X wrote:
1. The install never created the mount points for /cache and /myth. Had to create the directories and add the mounts manually to /etc/fstab, then re-run the install for the subdirectories to be created.
Folowing the directions for manual install should have created them.
Mr.X wrote:
2. Had to manually modify XF86Config-4 to remove the 1024x768 resolutions for my monitor. Would be good if the install program would ask what resolution you would like to run at.
My mistake, tv noapic is what you should have used not knoppmyth tv noapic
Mr.X wrote:
3. Had to manually modify ZapListings.pm to get my listings set up properly. Needed to be done before setup-mythtv is run or I wouldn't be able to select my provider. (Known issue)

4. Had to modify KnoppMyth-run and remove the xawtv references to keep my PVR from muting.

In addition, some other programs I thought were to be installed with KnoppMyth are not installed or at least not working. I would like to know how to install and activate these programs.

1. ntp: Seems that KnoppMyths install program is supposed to run /usr/bin/KnoppMyth-ntp, except that script doesn't exist.
There is no KnoppMyth-ntp
Mr.X wrote:
2. samba: If it's installed, it's not active, as I cannot see my Myth computer on my Windows network.

-Andy.

Samba is installed but not configured or set to start on boot. The only items that are set to start on boot are daemons needed my MythTV, apache and ssh.

Cecil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:48 am 
Mr.X wrote:

Quote:
Folowing the directions for manual install should have created them.

I believe you, but for some reason on my machine it didn't, and I did MANY installs, including several auto installs. I guess if I'm the only one, call it a "quirk". =)

Quote:
There is no KnoppMyth-ntp

That's true, but it is referenced in KnoppMyth-run, so has it been removed or never written in the first place?

Could you point me to instructions on installing ntp?

Quote:
Samba is installed but not configured or set to start on boot.

I tried typing:
/etc/init.d/samba start
and it starts, but still cannot see the myth computer from my windows computer on the network. Could you tell me how to start it properly, or send me to a "Samba for Dummies" site??? The samba site is way too involved! =(

Thanks again!

-Andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:59 am 
In order to "see" it, you must configure it.
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html
You'll also want to have it start on boot(if you every turn it off)...
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:38 pm 
Thank you!

Got samba working after a night of fiddling with it.

Still trying to get ntp to work, but I'll work on that some more before I ask for any more help...

-Andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:54 pm 
Search the forum. Someone posted instructions on getting NTP working and information on using a remote w/ mplayer.

cesman