View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Possible Bug: i586
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:45 am 
I was struggling with the install of KM. Install seemed to go okay, but after reboot and config things went awry. qt / password / and database errors. I posted the log file in a previous thread.

Finally I went ahead and left it at the i686 default and things went fine.
I'm just not sure of the implications since I"m running on a Via C3 CPU.

StuartAmbient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:06 am 
Thanks for the report Stuart. The error creating /root/.qt is a feature, not a bug. The only possible problem w/ i586 is the password as that is the only thing contained in the package. Which i586 package did you install? since it is working, cp /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt ~/mythtv/(do this as the user mythtv) then install the i586 package. Running a C3, you do need to run the i586 package.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:36 am 
cesman wrote:
Thanks for the report Stuart. The error creating /root/.qt is a feature, not a bug. The only possible problem w/ i586 is the password as that is the only thing contained in the package. Which i586 package did you install? since it is working, cp /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt ~/mythtv/(do this as the user mythtv) then install the i586 package. Running a C3, you do need to run the i586 package.

cesman

I'm getting a cp: missing destination file

Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:33 pm 
cesman wrote:

cesman

Sorry, I got the copy of mysql.txt to the home myth user directory.
Going to try and attempt the i586 package.

Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:55 am 
Okay, I give! I can't figure out how to install the i586 package. Please help.

Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:18 am 
well I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish but to install the i586 package you would get a root console and type install-i586

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:38 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
well I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish but to install the i586 package you would get a root console and type install-i586

I was trying to load the proper support for CPU - Via C3 1GHz Nehemiah, which I believe is the i586 package. The problem as stated above, was changing to i586 during KM configuration was causing an install problem.

Now that I have done the console install, is that all that is needed for the correct KM configuration?

Thanks
Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:00 am 
Which i586 package did you install? There are 4 i586, i586l(lirc), i586x(xvmc) and i586lx(lirc and xvmc). When I built and tested these packages all worked fine. Which one did you install so that I can double check it. BTW: Since you are installing on a Epia, you'll need to recompile MythTV if you plan to use the CLE266.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:49 am 
cesman wrote:
Which i586 package did you install? There are 4 i586, i586l(lirc), i586x(xvmc) and i586lx(lirc and xvmc). When I built and tested these packages all worked fine. Which one did you install so that I can double check it. BTW: Since you are installing on a Epia, you'll need to recompile MythTV if you plan to use the CLE266.

cesman

Not sure which i586 package. I followed the above instructions , from console , install-i586.
I'm not sure what xvmc is, I assume I will need lirc for blaster and remote?
I know I need to rebuild Myth.

Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:15 pm 
StuartAmbient...

if you have the Nehemiah, i'm pretty sure the i686 package will work fine for you. however all other C3s (like my 933) will need the i586 packages.

cesman, i can verify that there is a bug in the i586-l install. it appears that your install script (on first boot) is expecting the mysql root user to be able to log in without a password. this is where it failed for me w/ R4.

this is my first time booting knoppmyth, btw. i'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:23 am 
keredson wrote:
StuartAmbient...

if you have the Nehemiah, i'm pretty sure the i686 package will work fine for you. however all other C3s (like my 933) will need the i586 packages.

cesman, i can verify that there is a bug in the i586-l install. it appears that your install script (on first boot) is expecting the mysql root user to be able to log in without a password. this is where it failed for me w/ R4.

this is my first time booting knoppmyth, btw. i'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

Yes, exactly what happened when I tried to install with i586. I'm still trying to figure out why, my Nehemiah shows up as 933 (now under RH9).

keredson - as long as you bring this up, it wasn't so much as a concern for the CPU as it was for getting the VIA video drivers working under KMr4. Any experience in that area?

Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:43 pm 
Quote:
keredson - as long as you bring this up, it wasn't so much as a concern for the CPU as it was for getting the VIA video drivers working under KMr4. Any experience in that area?

nope. i wouldn't expect to either, unless this project makes a deal not unlike the deal minimyth made with VIA. their drivers are specific to kernel builds.

they worked fine w/ rH9 however.