View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:51 pm 
I have two hardrives. A 20 gig that I want to use as the install partition and a 120 gig that I want to use as the myth partition. However, it appears that Knoppmyth will only partition and configure one hard drive. I did all the partitioning in redhat since I had read in several places that the manual install partition option in Knoppmyth had problems. The 20 gig was partitioned with /boot and /. The 120 was partitioned with swap and /myth. But when I installed Knoppmyth it specifically asked me which drive to install on. Then after the reboot I get errors as it tries to access /myth. Did I just miss something or will knoppmyth not take advantage of multiple drives? Is there something I can do after the install to make it use the 120 gig drive?

I just switched to knoppmyth from Jarrod's Redhat install of Mythtv because it was giving me some problems. Anyway, I know that both drives are good.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:42 pm 
Just follow the instructions for a manual install.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:44 am 
I just went through that, and IIRC, here's how I did it:

Boot from the CD, let it run the automatic or manual install

When it's finished, but before you reboot, open a terminal window

Format your 120g drive

make a /myth directory on it, but not as root

add a line to /etc/fstab like:
/dev/hdc1 /myth [filesystem] defaults 0 0
assuming the 120g drive is all one partition and is /dev/hdc and where [filesystem] is ext3 or ext2 or reiserfs or whatever format you fdisked the 120g drive as...

reboot the computer and let the install program run. I think it will create the subdirectories now under /myth which will now be mounted on /dev/hdc1.

-Andy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:07 pm 
At the expense of sounding like a complete newbie I must admit that in the two years that I have been playing with linux I have never formatted a drive with anything other than the distro's gui tool. Could you please tell me what command line tool to use to do it? Is it just fdisk? Can you give me an example?

Now, if I create a directory on it of /myth will it conflict with the mount point /myth that was created in the auto install or will whatever I put in /etc/fstab overwrite it?

In response to Cecil's comment, after I read your post I reinstalled Knoppmyth 4 times trying to get it to work. Everytime I did, when the drive were being formatted I would get regular command line text showing through the gui saying that it had errors and that the drives didn't have a file type etc. I figured that I just kept missing a step or something which I why I kept doing it. I may still have messed it up but I gave up at that point.

That being said, I love what you have done for mythtv and I want to know if there is anyway to donate money to you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:31 pm 
masonjd wrote:
At the expense of sounding like a complete newbie I must admit that in the two years that I have been playing with linux I have never formatted a drive with anything other than the distro's gui tool. Could you please tell me what command line tool to use to do it? Is it just fdisk? Can you give me an example?
cfdisk is the tool to use. If should be fairly straight forward.
masonjd wrote:
Now, if I create a directory on it of /myth will it conflict with the mount point /myth that was created in the auto install or will whatever I put in /etc/fstab overwrite it?
With what you want to do, an auto install is not recommended. Following the manual install directions should give you no problems.
masonjd wrote:
In response to Cecil's comment, after I read your post I reinstalled Knoppmyth 4 times trying to get it to work. Everytime I did, when the drive were being formatted I would get regular command line text showing through the gui saying that it had errors and that the drives didn't have a file type etc. I figured that I just kept missing a step or something which I why I kept doing it. I may still have messed it up but I gave up at that point.
Take note of the ***NOTE*** under manual install. This is what you'll needed to do to get in on two drives.
masonjd wrote:
That being said, I love what you have done for mythtv and I want to know if there is anyway to donate money to you.
Thanks! I only take cash, harder to trace! ;)

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:14 am 
I guess I'll have to give the manual install another try. :)

So where so I send the cash? :) But seriously. I thank you very much. You are obviously very generous with your time and talents.