View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:16 pm 
I insert the CD and do an automatic install. It then tells me that everything has installed properly and I need to reboot so I remove the CD and reboot the machine. the pc reboots to a black screen with the cursor flashing in the top left hand corner. The computer does not show Lilo or success for the BIOS - just the flashing cursor in the top left hand corner. Crtl-Alt-f1 or Ctrl-Alt-f2 give no response.

Athlon XP1800+
512 MB
Gigabyte GA-7VTXH+ VIA KT266A chipset
Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro (Bios flashed to XT - R360 core)
Sound Blaster Live
Happauge 250 PVR (not MCE)
80 gig Maxtor HD (Primary Master)
250 gig Maxtor HD (Primary Slave with Window XP installed)

I had an old 10 gig drive that had R5A15 on it so I installed it as primary master and mythtv booted fine. I then tried a fresh install of R5A16 and experienced the same issue as above. I then tried installing R5A12 and R5A15. Both installs gave me the same issue,
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:24 pm 
Turn the box off, put the CD back in, and turn it back on. Does it boot?

If so, go into your BIOS and double check that the hard disk is listed as a bootable device, turn off network boot and the like to avoid confusion, leave just the FD, the CD, and the HD. Turn on the BIOS diagnostics or verbose boot mode. Make sure there's nothing int the FD or CD and reboot. You're looking for any messages about "no bootable devices found" or the like.

- Make sure that the hard disk you've installed KnoppMyth on is configured as the primary IDE master.

- Makes sure that the HDs are jumpered appropriately. Either both CS or (only if that doesn't work), one MA and one SL BTW - Double check that you have a CS cable...

- During the install did you have it set up lilo in the MBR of the primary IDE master HD?

We go through this with someone about once a month so search for other threads for more ideas...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:01 am 
also make sure that when you install, you dont have any usb devices connected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:43 am 
Hi,
Also to start fresh, boot with a dos bootable floppy that has fdisk on it, and then run fdisk /mbr to clean it out. Try a single hd (should work with a 10g fine) I would also drop back to a simple video card for testing.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:30 am 
All of the above is excellent advice... My R5A16 would not boot after an auto install. I removed all USB stuff and re-installed. Booted fine. Re-installed USB mouse and memory stick and boot from hd still worked !!! I installed Mozilla and my wireles stuff and am writing from KnoppMyth.

I am planning to set up a KnoppMyth in a single cpu environment and have been reading reams of posts to get some basic information. I have an old KWORLD tuner card that is " recognized"during boot as a Brooktree BT878. A DMESG entry says this card is blacklisted...don't know what that means...yet. I've clicked my way through the configure scripts
and realize I have a lot to learn. I know I probably will need to buy some hardware and hope to make informed decisions (from forum posts) and avoid costly mistakes.

Looks like a great project for a very old, but enthusiastic tinkerer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:51 am 
I never quite pinned it down, but I think whenever I tried to install with my usb memory stick plugged in, it would look like the install worked fine and then hang attempting to boot after reporting a successful install. Worked flawlessly when the USB stick was not plugged in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:31 am 
Thanks for all the help guys! I disconnected the secondary windows drive and reinstalled R5A16. The install went fine. Unfortunately I now have no sound. I can boot into windows and the sound works fine so I know its not my sound card.

Athlon XP1800+
512 MB
Gigabyte GA-7VTXH+ VIA KT266A chipset
Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro (Bios flashed to XT - R360 core)
Sound Blaster Live
Happauge 250 PVR (not MCE)
80 gig Maxtor HD (Primary Master)
250 gig Maxtor HD (Primary Slave with Window XP installed)

Post subject: Installation
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:02 am 
After munged my bootable knoppmyth, I tried to do another "auto install" and ended up with a hard drive system on hda1 that would not boot. Tried all the variations suggested to no avail. Finally I booted from the cdrom and did an UPGRADE....
This evidently did a new install on hda1 and it worked.
YMMV.

iI think it was Elliot Ness (Kevin Coster) who said "Never give up"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:14 pm 
Hi kyoung,

Some times when I have an audio issue, I try running alsaconfig as root to sniff it out. I know there are a couple sb items available. Some machines are just plain stubborn with the audio.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:19 pm 
I ran alsaconfig and then I get sound but if I reboot then sound is gone and I have to run alsaconfig again. Anyone know how to make the audio setting stick? Also the playback on video is a bit choppy. I think this is due to the Radeon 9800 pro which knoppmyth did not recognize at time of install. Any ideas on where I would find drivers and how to install them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:16 am 
there is a howto for installing the Ati-Driver:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3279&start=0

after installing the driver dont forget to run:
sh /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/make.sh
and then:
sh /lib/modules/fglrx/make_install.sh

without that you have no opengl acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:49 am 
Longshot....is that SoundBlaster from Dell? if so it may not be supported by ALSA.
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1488&highlight=dell+soundblaster