View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:50 am 
Hi all,

I've been partially successfull with my install of Knoppmyth but have a few outstanding issues I was hoping I could get some help on.

Lets get this out of the way first...

Hardware
--------------------------------
AMD Sempron 2400
ASUS A7N8X-X mobo
256 DDR RAM
Lite-On DVD ROM
SB Live!
GeForce 4 MX 440
Hauppauge PVR-250
200G HD

Basically, I folllowed the instructions that I found here and was mostly successfull in installing MythTV. I could complete up to step 8 of pstolpackr's tutorial but was unable to install XvMC via the command "install-i686-x" it gave my a bunch of warning messages and then I am unable to boot into MythTV. I can go into X but I cant seem to load Myth anymore.

Also, my PVR-250 does not seem to be detecting properly, it will process a cable signal though(which is confusing to me). My DVD ROM will also not play DVD's. My other major hardware concern is that my SB Live! isn't detecting at all. I ended up using the built in AC 97 from the mobo.

My questions are this;

Is XvMC important enough for me to worry about installing?
    My PVR-250 is detecting as an "Unknown Device" but still plays video, can anyone suggest what I should do in this situation?
    Is there any special setup I need to do to play DVD's?
    Can anyone suggest a course of action for me to take to get my SB Live to work?
    My processor is based off of the Athlon architecture so I assumed that I should be installing the i686 modules, is my assumption correct?

I would appreciate any help to track down these problems I seem to be having. Keep in mind that I'm a relative noob to Linux so I will try to answer any questions and follow any tips given in the best way I can :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:50 am 
Quote:
was unable to install XvMC via the command "install-i686-x" it gave my a bunch of warning messages and then I am unable to boot into MythTV

There is an apparent problem with the install scripts: you can't install just the XvMC version, you have to install the version with XvMC and LIRC (via either picking both options in the graphical install, or by using the command "install-i686-lx")

Quote:
My DVD ROM will also not play DVD's.

There also seems to be something going on with permissions and DVD-ROM. Go to the following thread and scroll down to the message by tjc:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2566

Basically, if you (as root) do "ls -al /dev/scd0" and the user:group does not show up as "root cdrom" then you need to "chown root:cdrom /dev/scd0" to set it properly.

Soundblaster: less sure about this but you might need to disable your onboard audio via your mobo's BIOS in order to let the install scripts configure things for your Soundblaster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:18 pm 
Cool, thanks for the help ceenvee.

Once I get out of the office I'll have to try and fix the XvMC and LIRC problem. I'll try the DVD fix as well.

Anyone else have any insights into some of the other problems I am experiencing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:44 pm 
Frankly your CPU should be plenty fast enough to work well without XvMC,
and IMO if you don't need it, you're much better off without it.

As for the other questions:

- i686 is correct for you CPU.

- If your PVR-250 is working and tuning you can probably ignore that error.

- Search Xsecrets' wiki and the FAQ for clues to other potential DVD related stuff.