View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:50 am 
I did a mythbackup, and nothing was created in the backup directory. I assumed that it was because I have no channel information as my box is currently only used for music. Was I ever wrong...

Anyway, I did an upgrade (I don't want to lose 100G of music in /myth) and the mythconverg database was not created. The intial start of the frontend failed.

After a couple of man page searches, I tried "mysqladmin create mythconverg" and everything started up. However, all the nice default settings put in by the knoppmyth install were not there. I'm not sure what else is missing...

Is there any way to create the default mythconverg database that would have been created with a non-upgrade install? I did a search and only found how to fix a database corruption, not create one from scratch.

Did I miss any other setup steps that would have happened if I didn't have the setup crash when mythfrontend first started?

Thanks,

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:31 pm 
I am also having difficulty autoupdating (from R4v4 to v5). I made a post but got no real response...basically, after the install, the setup would not complete due to some database error...I couldn't figure it out...after poking around somemore i realized that my problem is at least similar to yours....

1) mythbackup made a partial backup of mythconverge database in my case

2) after I deleted the partial database and created a new one, setup finished but the default settings for the backend, etc. were not set by knoppmyth.

So I have the GUI up but nothing is running correctly....Plus I also don't want to lose my media (TV shows in my case), so if someone can post the needed default settings in the GUI to run the backend, et. al. and if there is a way to rebuild the database from existing files, I might be able to salvage my update and get back to enjoying my MythTV.

Nvidia GForce 5200
Hauppauge PVR350
Silverstone Lascala VFD HTPC case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:59 am 
Sorry to tell you this, but with the MPEG-2 files from a PVR-250 or PVR-350 you can't restore the DB properly. I had a somewhat similar issue and discovered this the hard way. Once you lose the fundamental index information it's gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:20 am 
Just to clarify that you can't rebuild the db without a backup, I have restored from a backup quite successfully.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:11 am 
But how is the DB first build on a clean install? Is there no way to trigger this initial build of the DB after an upgrade if the backup is corrupt/lost?

My other alternative is to get a 2nd HD to backup /myth and then do a clean install. I was hoping to avoid that though.... then again, uploading my CD collection was a pain, so backing it up might not be such a bad idea.

Cheers,

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:40 pm 
You misunderstood me. You can get the rest of the DB back to a healthy state without much trouble but your existing recordings are a lost cause.

If you have old PVR MPEG-2 recordings and you lose the recorded program info (as in gone with no back up to restore from), even if you put entries for the programs themselves back in, you will still be missing vital information which tells the offsets to the first and last frame and other key locations in the stream.

There is no way I know of to get this back. This despite a fair amount of research on the topic. If you discover a good one PLEASE let us know and create a how-to on the wiki.

Without this information a number of evil things happen.

Commercial marking will try to mark that file next time it runs and will end up going into an eternal loop. This effectively acts as a "busy wait" using all the idle CPU time until the next time you reboot the machine.

After that the program will always show up as "being editted" which means that you can't set marks of your own. If you clear that you're back in the previous state chewing all the idle cycles until a reboot.

My advice is either to write off your existing recordings or move them over to the /myth/video with names from the /myth/pretty directory and treat them as videos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:26 am 
That's good news for me since I have no videos (yet). The data I want to save is in /myth/music.

I was able to create a database (mysqladmin create mythconverg) and get it running enough to play music. However, poking around it seems that the original myth install populates this DB with info I am now missing. I have found information on how to populate a myth generic DB (mysql < mc.sql), but I suspect that knoppmyth customized some of this.

Is it possible to trigger a knoppmyth specific DB population after an upgrade?

Thanks,

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:31 am 
MythTV-sql

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:34 am 
Perfect! Thanks!

One thing to note for others who may read this. I had to do a "chmod +x /usr/local/bin/MythTV-sql" for this to work.

Cheers,

Allen