View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:50 pm 
I am trying to install R4V5 on a 2.8P4, ABIT IC7-G, Maxtor SATA 250GB

After I type "tv" (it also happens if I don't) and it starts booting (before any of the install menus appear) I see the following message which I'm not sure if it's related to the error below:
Autoconfiguring Modules..... Can't locate module block-major-2
(Sorry that it's kind of abreviated, but it flashes by rather quickly and is difficult to write down.

After I select my timezone and select "Auto Install" I get the following message: (this one is verbatim)

ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue(0)
cmd_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hba), sector 0
cmd_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hba), sector 2
cmd_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hba), sector 4
cmd_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hba), sector 6
/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-auto: line 608: / 1000000: syntax error: operand expected (error token is " / 1000000")

I currently have SuSE 9.1 installed on the drive that I am trying to over write.

I have read through the Install, hardware, and problem forums but have yet to see anything that pertains to my problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:54 pm 
Did you find this and follow the steps shown?

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1701

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:01 pm 
I did not see that and it looks very promising, I'm going to go try it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:12 pm 
BTW - My high "advanced" search technique was to search for SATA and quickly scan the first half dozen threads that came up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:15 pm 
No joy.

I tried the full option line, and then without the various options. I always get to the same error.

Would life be simpler with PATA instead of SATA? As I just purchased the drive 2 days ago from a local store, it wouldn't be much of a hastle to exchange it.

Additonal note, my mother board does have the Silicon Image SATA controller, but I have it disabled in the BIOS. Now that I've typed that, I'm going to go re-enable it and try all of the options again. I'd really prefer to not use it, as it is not connected to the CPU via the North Bridge.

Following your inspired search technique I found this:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1805
Which I'm about to go try, and if this doesn't work, I'll follow it's other advise and ditch the SATA drive for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:48 pm 
SATA is definitely "advanced hardware" for Linux and especially for KnoppMyth which is based on an older kernel.

If you've got the onboard SATA controller disabled how do you have the drive hooked up? An add in card?

As it stands KnoppMyth REALLY wants an PATA/IDE drive connected as your primary master HD (aka - /dev/hda) for an automatica install. Anything other than that is advanced/expert installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:05 pm 
tjc wrote:
SATA is definitely "advanced hardware" for Linux and especially for KnoppMyth which is based on an older kernel.

If you've got the onboard SATA controller disabled how do you have the drive hooked up? An add in card?

As it stands KnoppMyth REALLY wants an PATA/IDE drive connected as your primary master HD (aka - /dev/hda) for an automatica install. Anything other than that is advanced/expert installation.

I had been running SuSE 9.1, which handles the SATA natively, but then I'm guessing it's probably on a newer kernel (2.6 I believe).

I should have been a touch more specific. The ABIT IC7-G has 2 SATA controllers on the mother board. One Silicon Image off of the South Bridge so that it acts just like a PCI card plugged into that bus, and one INTEL based controller attached to the north bridge.

Setting the BIOS to SATA ONLY for the on-chip SATA controller allowed me to go through the Auto-Install.

Now I just have a bunch of other errors that I need to go search on.

Thanks for you help in putting me on the right path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:44 am 
I get a similar error, but just:
/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-auto: line 608: / 1000000: syntax error: operand expected (error token is " / 1000000")

This is the first time I've tried installing a linux OS (I've just worked on pre-installed ones)

Interestingly - I tried installing R4V4 and it doesn't give this error?

I'l like to install V5 but? Did something change between V4 and V5? I'll try the nodma trick and see how I get on.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:30 am 
RE:Error - /usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-auto: line 608: / 1000000: syntax error: operand expected (error token is " / 1000000")

Adding the parameter: ide=nodma
fixed the problem for me!

The boot prompt help should mention these parameters - it also isn't clear that commands like fb800x600 can also use these parameters too (I had to use the notebook variant as my machine was hooked up to an LCD screen)

Tim