View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Choppy DVD playback
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:27 pm 
DVD playback on DVD's with macrovision? play very choppy. I had an
Episode I DVD from Africa that doesn't have the macrovision signal on it,
and it plays great. My John Q DVD does have the macrovision signal and plays choppy. I don't know if macrovision is part of CSS or not. What I am calling macrovision is when you try and pass the video signal through a VCR instead of directly to your television, it gets partially
scrambled for copy protection reasons.

I don't remember having this choppy playback when I was using the same version of myth on redhat.

I had at one point done an apt-get install with my knoppmyth setup, so I don't know if that affected anything.

I'm using a Pundit system with a 1.7Gig Celeron overclocked to about 2.09Gig, and a cheapo 16x LG DVDROM, and hdparm shows DMA enabled on the drive.

I've tried both Mplayer and XINE.

Anyone else had this problem and has it resolved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:34 pm 
I can't say that I've had this problem, but I'm not sure if I have any macrovision or whatever dvd's.

Just curious did the apt-get install work to get your dvd's playing? I thought last I tried this didn't work properly.

Just to let you know I'm not trying to get an explanation of how to get them working I know how and as I said all mine work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:02 pm 
I did two things at once, so I am not sure if only one of them would have been enough.

I did an apt-get install XINE either right before or right after apt-get install without really thinking about it. Not overly logical, I know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:54 am 
DVD Problem fixed. Turns out that after I rebooted, and re-verified that dma was enabled, I discovered it wasn't. On top of that neither was 32bit access on the DVD rom or the HD. After enabling them permanently on the DVDROM and HD as well, All DVDs play fine, and now the visualizations for CD music are smooth. I can't tell for sure but I seem to be able to get smoother recording performance at higher resolutions. Too qualitative of a test to tell for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:29 pm 
wow that's unusuall, because usually having dma and 32 bit access turned off makes a very noticable difference in tv recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:45 pm 
It was only 32bit access that wasn't enabled on the HD, so perhaps that is why I wouldn't bet my life on stating there was a huge improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:09 pm 
cleskiw wrote:
DVD Problem fixed. Turns out that after I rebooted, and re-verified that dma was enabled, I discovered it wasn't. On top of that neither was 32bit access on the DVD rom or the HD. After enabling them permanently on the DVDROM and HD as well, All DVDs play fine, and now the visualizations for CD music are smooth. I can't tell for sure but I seem to be able to get smoother recording performance at higher resolutions. Too qualitative of a test to tell for sure.

Could you tell me how you did this? I'm having the same problem, but I'm very new to linux and don't know how to do what you say you did...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:35 pm 
Nevermind..after searching some more here and around the net I found the answer. Works fine now.