View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Easiest way to upgrade?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:46 pm 
I am going to try and upgrade MythTV to 0.13 and see if it will help solve any of my problems. My question is what is the easiest way to upgrade to 0.13 from a base R4 install?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:16 pm 
checkout This Tread

basically you will need to remove the 0.12 debs, add a line to your sources list, run apt-get update, and apt-get install the official 0.13 debs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:48 pm 
Yeah, that works, but you may have to do some tweaking afterwards. I did.

My remote didn't work right after upgrading because the debs have myth compiled with native lirc support, so myth now uses ~/.mythtv/lircrc instead of ~/.lircrc. Mplayer stuff is now the only stuff in the ~/.lircrc file, everything else had to be moved to the new file and tweaked for the differing format of the native file.

Mythweb didn't run straight out of the box either, but I don't remember why. I think it may have landed in a different directory, and I may have had to play with passwords, but I don't remember exactly (I suck at taking notes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:55 pm 
knoppmyth lirc has always been native and has always used the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file unless this reverted back to irxevent with the official debs, in which case it would just the reverse of what you explained. That may very well be the case, because in the 0.11 (last set of official deb's there were no 0.12) it didn't have native lirc compiled in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:06 pm 
Yeah it didn't work real well, I probably could have messed with it and figured it out but I don't have the patience or the time this week to muck with it. I have a GeForce card coming Thursday and I am going to put that in and use the TV out from that for the time being until I can get the TV out from the PVR-350 working well. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:21 pm 
Based on this thread, when upgrading form R4 to R5, do you lose all custom settings?

For example, I have recompilied my kernel, lirc to support my TV tuner remote and varios other tweaks.

Will I have to redo what has already been done if I chose to upgrade to R5.

I am assuming that all video, music and .jpg data is preserved when upgrading from R4->R5.

Thanks,
Mike G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:14 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
knoppmyth lirc has always been native and has always used the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file unless this reverted back to irxevent with the official debs, in which case it would just the reverse of what you explained. That may very well be the case, because in the 0.11 (last set of official deb's there were no 0.12) it didn't have native lirc compiled in.

Well hell, maybe I'm all confused. I thought mythtv native lirc was new. Forget what I said above, but I did have to tweak the heck out of my files to get it functioning the way it was before installing the 0.13 debs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:19 am 
mgordon wrote:
Based on this thread, when upgrading form R4 to R5, do you lose all custom settings?

I suppose it is possible to lose some...If R5 offers nothing new since you've tweaked, then why upgrade? Especially if your system is stable and you're happy with it. It would be nice to have have those lirc files to include w/ R5.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:55 am 
I don't think you want mine cesman, I've got a learning sony remote that I programmed with the grey pvr-250 remote to make it work as close as possible to our old setup with Tivo. I doubt anybody else would be able to use it.