View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:35 am 
Yeah I had to make sure my box was finished last night for the exact same reason (Bloody Andrew Johns had to come back didn't he, bastard)

Anyway back on track, with the lilo config part of my script, that part was ripped off (opps I mean borrowed) from Greg Frost and I am not real sure how it works and to be honest I don't think it works properly.

As to what the lilo.conf should look like, the part you need is this:
Code:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.12
        label=Linux-2.6.11.12
        read-only

Hope that helps, if not please don't hesitate to let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:38 am 
I have updated my script, so you can turn on and off what you don't want to use. For example most people wont want to install the Logitech Webcam driver. I have also added some more commenting to the top to let you know what is changing.

http://users.tpg.com.au/garthk/update-kernel.sh

Any issues, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:28 am 
I loaded your new script and I've been trying to run it and the old one all day with no success.
I can't seem to see what I'm doing wrong. When I run the script it just presents me with a new command prompt without going through the process of the install?? i.e get kernel/install kernel etc
I've opened it up but I don't really know what I'm looking at. I just checked to see if all the "if fi" were in place (seem to be); Anyway if they weren't it would give some sort of compile error (wouldn't it) I've even tried to run the script on my ubuntu box with the same result. (just to see if it would run)
Can't figure it out too much of a noobie :(
I've tried to go through the manual install as well using the directions in previous posts but supplementing the new kernel filename but I couldn't download the kernel.
I think the server maybe down (BTW has this server been down all day or is it my connection?? (Nope it wasn't I'm just bad a typing)
Is there a way of updating the sources.list file for knoppmyth or am I off track?? This would be good to know if the paths to these change; some site in the sources.list, are still posting 404 errors when I apt-get update or is that a usual thing with apt-get
Thanks in advance
Sorry my typing is pretty bad So I edited this post

Last edited by iluciv on Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:25 am 
Hi
I still haven't been able to run your script but I still am an ass face :oops:
I wasn't typing the whole kernel name into the wget call :oops:
I did find that the lilo tip you gave Girkers was a little wrong label=Linux-2.6.11.12 only needs to be label=Linux or I believe you'd also have to edit the bootmess file?? (I got a default kernel doesn't exist call with the above in lilo.conf
I ended up just printing out your file and going of that. It was better that the script didn't work because I've learnt a lot more about the installation processes which is a good thing.
Thanks agian for providing it prehaps I'll do a version for my configuration when I understand something of linux scripting
The kernel 2.6.11.12 does fix the autoconfiuation...done hang problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:21 pm 
iluciv wrote:
I ended up just printing out your file and going of that. It was better that the script didn't work because I've learnt a lot more about the installation processes which is a good thing.

I think that is the real benefit of providing a script to show what you did to get things working. There is no ambiguity and people can try exactly what you have tried for certain steps of your install. For example telling a newb that they need to recompile the kernel is a bit daunting, but if they can see the exact commands that someone else did to build the kernel, it makes things much easier.

Getting a script that works for all people in all circumstances is very tricky. Hats off to cesman/dale for the work they have done in this area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:34 am 
iluciv, I apologise for the buggie script, but this is my first ever script, so you will have to excuse the errors.

As to downloading and just running it, I made it so that you have to turn the options on that you want to use, for eg. to do the kernel upgrade you have to edit the script and change the no to a yes.
Extract from script:
Code:
# What do you want to do today
upkernel=No
fixtv=No
bigfonts=No
dvb_drivers=No
nVidia=No
tv_grabber=No
samba_run=No
webmin_run=No
webcam=No
Com_DVD=No

So depending on what options you would like to enable, simply change the option you want. I simply set them to no as default so people don't run things they shouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:28 am 
:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:54 pm 
Don't be embarrased, we all have to learn somehow. My head is still hurting from writing this script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:14 am 
It's just a little embarrasing considering how long I looked errors and tested the file and browsed for an answer. Yet it was so simple.
The Script works great btw, I installed the big fonts with it and it worked perfect.
I'm still having problems with the channels though I realised I can scan them ( I only recieve 7 and 9' s digi and hd chans) but only in dvb-ults. Not in mythtv where I get black screen back to myth control panel with no error reporting.
I've read the other posts do you think that It sees the wrong card (autodetected card=113)

Should I have started a new thread :S

Girkers I've also posted a post in the anttena post of yours in the hardware section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:02 pm 
My scans fine after this update, I just can't get SBS it won't lock on.

Probably be a good idea though to start another post.

Thanks for the feedback, even if it helps one person, it makes it all worth while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:51 pm 
hi i have the visionplus dvb-t card and i am trying to run knoppmyth r5a-16 without any luck yet i need to know whcich of the following i need to change to get this card working ok any help would be most appreciated thanks
bye
signed phillip cole

Girkers wrote:
iluciv, I apologise for the buggie script, but this is my first ever script, so you will have to excuse the errors.

As to downloading and just running it, I made it so that you have to turn the options on that you want to use, for eg. to do the kernel upgrade you have to edit the script and change the no to a yes.
Extract from script:
Code:
# What do you want to do today
upkernel=No
fixtv=No
bigfonts=No
dvb_drivers=No
nVidia=No
tv_grabber=No
samba_run=No
webmin_run=No
webcam=No
Com_DVD=No

So depending on what options you would like to enable, simply change the option you want. I simply set them to no as default so people don't run things they shouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:51 pm 
Did you get anywhere with this?

I had the same problem (no boot from CD after autoconfig) and was able to solve it by changing my IDE setting in the BIOS from "Enhanced" to "Compatible", and then saying PATA only (both my disks are PATA IDE). The BIOS re-detected the drive assignmenets and required a second BIOS visit to sort things out, but then Knoppix/KnoppMyth got past the freezie prompt.

I have an Asus P4P800 SE mobo if it matters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:24 pm 
Firstly I would like to apologise for the delay in replying, I have been in hospital for the last month and no net access.

Anyway to answer the question about which setting to change in my script to just get the VisionPlus DVB-T card working is the
Code:
upkernel=Yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:11 pm 
Well just a note to hope your ok Girkers and wish you well :)

My knoppmyth box is working great, except for the fact that I have really poor reception and presently can only get two channels.

Just waiting for the next body corporate meeting to get permission to install my own aerial.

Till then good fortune :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:12 pm 
This script tottally rocks. I was able to get my system to update to 2.6.13.3 and it is working ok so far.

I have a few unrelated issues to manage. I installed Mozilla and that throws a graphics error for the moment. Need to fix that. My DVB card (Air2PC) is listed in lspci, but I can't configure it from the setup.

The good news:

All of my Oxford 911 chipset issues are resolved with the 2.6.13 kernel. I am back to using LVM over firewire without any issues and without the flaky behavior in 2.6.11. I have an SMP kernel - not sure if that will improve anything, but at least I know I am configured for the best performance.

Great job :)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5