View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:43 pm 
I finally was able to install and configure KnoppMyth so at least I can see a TV image and guide. The problem is that I have no sound.

I have read several other posts suggesting that I check the volume level, mute, etc. I have done all that (I think), but still no sound at all.

I have tried:
# test_ioctl -y mute=0
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_CTRL
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_CTRL success

# test_ioctl -y volume=60000
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_CTRL
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_CTRL success

I also have toggled mute on/off with F9 (while watching live tv) as well as increase volume to 100% with F11.

I ran aumix and made sure ALL the levels were up (just to be sure), but still no sound.

I am using AC'97 sound support (on motherboard) and using the speaker-out jack (green jack).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:46 pm 
where is the sound comming from? as in do you have a pvr250/350 where the sound comes through the stream or do you have a software card that supports btaudio or do you have to have a jumper cable into your sound card. If you use the jumper cable then what port do you have it pluged into. you need to make sure that the correct port is setup as your capture device in alsamixer.

past that I'm out of suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:40 pm 
Do you get sound from MythVideo(MPlayer) ot MythMusic? Did you check the posts about commenting KnoppMyth-run?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:41 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
where is the sound comming from? as in do you have a pvr250/350 where the sound comes through the stream or do you have a software card that supports btaudio or do you have to have a jumper cable into your sound card. If you use the jumper cable then what port do you have it pluged into. you need to make sure that the correct port is setup as your capture device in alsamixer.

My capture device is a PVR-250. I using the S-VIDEO and audio-out (RCA) on my DirectTV box (Sony) which connect to the PVR-250's S-VIDEO-IN and Audio-in (via a converter cable), respectively.

I then have my video card's (GF4MX) S-VIDEO-OUT and on-board (AC'97) speaker-out (green plug) go out to my TV.

As I mentioned before, video seems to work just fine, but no sound whatsoever.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:37 pm 
You could try playing a recording with mplayer from the command line. This will tell you if there is audio in the file, because the verbose output of mplayer tells you what kind of audio it detects. It would tell you whether the problem is in the recording or the playback side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:12 pm 
I'm having a sililar problem with a pvr-350 going through the tuner as well. I have unmuted the card via test_ioctl, brought up all the volumes I thought could possibly be applicable in the alsa mixer, and commenting out KnoppMyth-run. I know it's not an alsa problem though because MythMusic works fine, and I've even tried bypassing my sound card completely and going right from the 350 to some speakers. I also get no sound when playing back previously recorded video ( that I recorded before the soundcard bypass).

I'm still searching the forums for solutions to this seemingly common problem, does anyone know of any I've missed.

more info:

tuner PVR-350
KnoppMyth r4
ittv whatever comes with 4

I would like to try updating my ittv, can apt do this for me, and would it be advisable?

Many thanks

Last edited by lil_slice on Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:26 pm 
No, apt-get will not do that, I have posted instructions on updating ivtv.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:22 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:

I have PVR-250, but I am not bringing the signal in via a COAX (to the TV-TUNER card). I am using DirecTV and am _forced_ to use the combination of S-VIDEO out and RCA STEREO-OUT on the DirecTV box because the COAX-out on the box is broken.

That said, I connect the S-VIDEO out (from the DTV box) to the S-VIDEO in on the PVR-250. For audio, I connect the two RCA audio-out cables (again, from the DTV box) to a y-adapter that converts it to a standard 2.5"mm (or 3.5"mm I always forget) which connects to the AUDIO-IN on the PVR-250 card.

Given the fact that I can't use the COAX out (from the DirecTV box), I am wondering if I have to do some special configuration to enable the AUDIO-IN on the PVR-250 card.

I can't remember where I saw the following, but somewhere I read that I shouldn't use /dev/dsp in the config (which I am using).

I still don't understand the whole configuration process, but is anyone using a configuration similar to mine? Is there a way to test audio (other than what I have posted already in this thread)?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:54 pm 
well I don't have any answers or suggestions, but I have an explination on the /dev/dsp for recording on the pvr250/350. It is fine to use /dev/dsp or anything else for that matter because the sound gets muxed into the file before it gets to your soundcard. It is handled in hardware by the pvr card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:21 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
well I don't have any answers or suggestions, but I have an explination on the /dev/dsp for recording on the pvr250/350. It is fine to use /dev/dsp or anything else for that matter because the sound gets muxed into the file before it gets to your soundcard. It is handled in hardware by the pvr card.

Do you know if I have to enable something on the PVR-250 that activates the Audio-IN jack? I would assume that most people get both audio & video from the COAX in, but as I mentioned before I can't do that.

That's my current guess as to why my sound might not work.