View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Continuing sound problem
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:13 am 
I have been getting a lot of information and getting closer to a working MythTV box via the information in the following topic:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=434

I created a file (as root) /etc/modutils/alsa (because one did not exist) with the following code:
Code:
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

options snd major=116 cards_limit=4

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/dsp* snd-pcm-oss

alias snd-card-0 snd-es18xx

alias snd-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-slot-0

as root I did:
#modprobe snd-es18xx
#/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig
#update modules
#/etc/init.d/alsa restart

on the final command I got "/etc/init.d/alsa: No such file or directory"

Indeed there is no alsa in /etc/init.d and I am assuming this is a problem. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:17 am 
Something from the alsa packages is not getting installed. I bet you cant use alsamixer and aplay either right?

When reinstalling mythtv (for like the 10th time :roll: ) I actually got it the alsa file created for me and was able to use alsamixer and aplay by doing the following:
#dpkg -r knx-alsa
#apt-get install alsa-utils
- then selecting my soundcard when the alsa-base thing asked me for it.

When I did this the first time the /etc/modutils/alsa file was created for me and my soundcard was recognized automatically!!! So I wanted to recreate this, and figured what the heck, let me reinstall mythtv again :D and see if I can get this to work. IT DID NOT WORK THE SECOND TIME!!!

The weird part, is that the /lib/modules/extra/alsa/drivers directory was no longer there. For some reason, removing the knx-alsa package got rid of them the second time. But if you dont get rid of knx-alsa, apt-get will not allow you to install alsa-utils.

I think the problem has to do with one of the install-i586 scripts. The time I got it to work, I think I might not have installed the XVMC support. Im going to try it again when I get home from work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:39 pm 
Interesting...

This is also the first and only time I tried installing Myth with XVMC support and the only time I have noted that /etc/inet.d/alsa was missing. So, I think there is definately a problem with the i586-lirc-xvmc install script. Doing dpkg -r .586-lirc-xvmc and then install-i586-l did not fix the missing /etc/inet.d/alsa problem.

Also, on this current install, I am running into a problem I have not yet seen, where I seem to have been able to record a TV program (I still cannot view live TV, but am working on that), but now when I try to go to the View Recorded TV screen, MythTV hangs. It hangs on the TV menu, unlike when I try to watch live TV and Myth hangs with a black screen.

The last time I installed KnoppMyth I did sucessfully install alsa-utils and alsa-base, but to do so I had to remove knx-alsa. After that was the one time alsamixer worked, but I ran into some other problems with MythTV (sorry...it was late and I forgot what problems I ran into), but I figured that knx-alsa was required and I couldn't figure how to get it reinstalled...so I reinstalled KnoppMyth.

Yes, I am also going to try a fresh install of KnoppMyth without XVMC support when I get out of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:18 pm 
Its not the xvmc script. Reinstalled knoppmyth and removed the knx-alsa package and it did not work. I have no idea how I got it to work that last first time!!

Can someone tell me how to remove the knx-alsa package correctly and fully install alsa with apt-get install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:49 pm 
what does it say when you dpkg -r knx-alsa?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:08 pm 
You can try:http://kano.mipooh.net/install-alsa-knoppix.bash It is experimental...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!