View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:19 pm 
I had R4V5 running with 2 external firewire boxes (Oxford 911 chips) and had a custom script loading the firewire devices and mounting the LVM set.

I did an upgrade last night and followed the Wiki entry on dealing with upgrading LVM sets. All works well, except on the of the drives is not being recognized by the new scripts.

I have one box with a single drive and a second box with dual drives. Before the upgrade all was well, but now the second drive in the full box is not recognized. If I take out the other drive (removable HD racks rocks) then it can see the drive just fine. There only seems to be a problem when I have both drives in the array. I had them both set to "cable select" which worked in R4V5 and that is what is failing now. There is no error, just no drive is seen at all. When I changed the second drive to "slave" all it said was waiting for the drive to spin up.

Tonight I will start playing around with jumper settings. That may help the situation, but right now I am throwing darts.

I was watching /var/log/messages as I plugged and unplugged the drives. Again, no error but the second drive doesn't seem to exist from the hotplug scripts.

Short of putting each drive into its own box, does anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:33 pm 
Well, after a ton of Googling it would seem this is a kernel bug in 2.6. Some external enclosures do not work well with 2.6.

So far the workaround is to move one of the drives into the main box and put one drive in each external box.

Maybe this is a good time to look into some nice stackable items. I would prefer to find a good way to make one large power brick instead of more power strips.

It looks like I am making progress now. Not the way I wanted to, but I will take what I can get in order to get everything back online.