View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: authentication failure
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:27 am 
ok, first of all im new to knoppmyth. i read about mythTV in a computer mag where i live (australia) and was very impressed. but i always have issues with debian never doing what i tell it to...but luckily i found knoppmyth :) it install easily enough, did a manual install cause of disk space. but when it reboots to post-install it asks for the root password...i enter the password (its password cause its a test system) and it gives me authentication error, and exits Xterm. ok....and the user/pass i created during the install also doesnt exist/work. so yeah, im confused.

i downloaded the latest iso from one of the mirros, followed the manual instructions in the documentation section, as i said its a test system while i save some money up for a tv tuner card and a gfx card that has vid-out. currently the system is:

P3-1ghz
256mb RAM
on-board vid/sound

so yeah. any help would be greaty appreciated. also, im no pro at linux on a whole. i use common sense and read through guides and whatnot so dont be to harsh :P thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:13 pm 
only thing I can think of is maybe you had your caps lock on one time and not the other. the password is case sensitive.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:27 pm 
i was hoping that was the reason, but it wasn't...so yeah im stumped :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:53 pm 
You may be able to boot from the CD in rescue mode, get a console, chroot to the directory where the HD is mounted, and run passwd as root to fix it... I'm a bit too tired to attempt detailed instructions tonight...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:23 pm 
I'm sure if he does a search for chroot mount lilo, that will get him 98% there...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:06 am 
hmmm, it seems that when i do an auto-install it works fine...but i want a manual install to setup my HDD partitioning in a paticular way...oh well, ill try your ideas later, right now im enjoying mythTV :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:04 pm 
You're probably better of not screwing around with the setup of the /, /cache and swap partitions. There are certain things you can do to /myth, but you should at least have it. Otherwise you'll find that your first attempt at an upgrade is a nightmare. Seriously the partitions are set up like that for a reason and the fact that they're standardized makes certain other stuff in the overall system design work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:26 pm 
Yeah, i totally understand that. It's just that the HDD im using is an IBM 20gig, pretty old. i have narrowed it down to that the last 5gig has something wrong with it. if i partition it to 15gig, it works fine. if i use 20gig i get I/O errors. hard to explain, but the last 5 gig seem to be cursed :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:30 pm 
I believe all tjc is saying is that you want to have one partion as / one as /cache and one as /myth and then swap just like the auto install. Not necessarily where they need to be or that you have to use the whole disk, but keep the same number of partitions and the same mount points. Though I'm not sure as I've never bothered with a manual install.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:35 pm 
Exactly. Having the first three on the same disk helps too.

I had (have?) a drive that worked fine if I made sure to check for bad sectors whenever it was formatted. No sign of creeping failure or anything, apparently just some part of the disk that didn't want to play nice... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:11 pm 
ah ok, what i wanted to do was have all partitions on the one disk, just useing 15gig instead of 20, but it seems to be going fine with 20gig so yeah, dont fix what aint broke :)