View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Myth Help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:42 pm 
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I'm new to Linux and Myth so if I say anything stupid, just let me know.
I got Myth installed and up using KnoppMyth, but have run into a couple of problems.

Running on my monitor I can get into Myth with out any problem, but when trying to watch tv (All that I've done so far) I get a screen that is mostly green with static at the top. I've searched the forums and have not found anything that matches up with this problem. I think it might partly be caused by my hardware, spicifically video card and possibly the tv tuner.

Here is my hardware that I'm running.
Shuttle AK32VN - Via KT266A Chipset
AMD 1800XP
256M PC2100
Western Digital 120Gig HD
Samsung 8x CD-RW
ATI 8500 LE (64Meg)
KWorld (V-Stream) Xpert TV-PVR - VS-TV878RF
On Board Sound (AC'97)

The tuner card that i have has the Contrax Chip (I think thats right). I read somewhere that the drivers for this are still in alpha. Myth did recognize it as a Brasswood(?) standard bttv 878 card. Is there any way that I can check that my tuner is working correctly, out side of myth? or do I just need to scratch this and get a diffrent card?

Ok, on to the next problem. When I hook up to my tv, via S-video out on ATI card, I can see Linux go threw the boot sequence. First time I get an error saying something to the effect of "wrong monitor type passed, press Enter to change, or press space or wait 30 secs". I wait and X trys to start and I get a black screen, <C>+<A>+<F1> gets me a screen that has six displays. <C>+<A>+<F7> get me a screen that is white or grey and letter box.

I've done some research/reading here and on mythtv. Here I read that everything was compiled using nvidia drivers. Do I need to recomplie with ATI drivers? If I need to recompile can some one point me in the right direction? Are there drivers with TV out support for ATI cards? (Myth doc says there are not, but dont know how old the info is) With me building this on my monitor do I need to change the config to show on the tv? (Saw something about that somewhere)

I know this is a little long winded but those are my problems, not counting the mental ones. Thanks in advance for any help or advice given.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:22 pm 
there are drivers with ati tv out there are just not any drivers that can use tv in and tv out on the all in wonder cards. I'm pretty sure the gatos drivers work with ati tv out, but if you see the bootup sequence I'm not sure that is your problem.

What you have to do when you use tvout is set the horzontal and vertical refresh rates in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. The rates in there are too high for most any tv.

As far as the tv tuner I'm not sure, I know some of the kworld tuners are supported and have been discussed in the forums here. You might try doing a search for kworld.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:11 pm 
thanks Xsecrets,

found this http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40, now just one lil nood linux question.

Just run this code as root user? will this run from /?

And the drivers?
apt-get install gatos?

This is close to gentoo's emerge so I think I'm right, just double checking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:02 pm 
well actually I think I had it backwards after doing some looking it looks like the tvout is the part not supported because of macrovision. but you could try it and see. I don't think apt-get gatos would be sufficient that will get you the programs, but I belive it requires a kernel driver as well.

I would make sure the refresh rates are correct for tv and see what happens first.

ok so another look and it looks like gatos drivers do support tvout to some extent and tvinput, but still not as easy as apt-get install to get working you don't have to compile a new kernel, but there is an X driver that has to be installed. you would have to go to the gatos.sourceforge.net website and follow the instructions there. I think you have to have the CVS branch to get tvout.