View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:24 pm 
I've got MythTV up and running using a pvr-250 for capture, a XP 2500+, and a Audigy2 for sound. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find an answer for.

1) I can't seem to control the TV volume using the remove that came with the pvr-250. The screen says the volume's changing, but I don't hear any difference. When I go into settings to see if switching from Master to PCM makes a difference, the backend crashes and I have to hard restart.
1.5) Also, changing the volume causes the TV (audio and video) to get jittery. Any settings that might help? Is this a buffer size issue that needs to get fixed in mythtv-setup?

I couldn't get sound to work at all at first, but I used the suggestion in the forums to change .fvwm/.fvwm2rc, comment out the exec, and replace with exec mythfrontend. Would this have anything to do with it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:32 pm 
Quote:
I couldn't get sound to work at all at first, but I used the suggestion in the forums to change .fvwm/.fvwm2rc, comment out the exec, and replace with exec mythfrontend. Would this have anything to do with it?

No. Truly an odd problem. Try running the frontend from an xterm, adjust the volume and quit. What gets outputted? Anything in the log? You can also start watching tv, log in at the console and adjust the volume(via the remote). If ivtv is misbehaving, it should spit out some info. Have you updated the ivtv drivers?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:33 pm 
Whoo boy.

When I ran myth from an xterm, and changed the volume control from master to PCM, then tried to watch some TV, it whole mess crashed. The Xterm spat out that is had a seg fault tring to get Xv to run. Wha?

It works again if you restart the backend, then restart the frontend. Still, the sound doesn't change when the remote tells it to. I double checked that Myth's internal sound control was selected, but it goes still goes poop.

I tried to cut that jittering down by decreasing some cache settings, and that seemed to help a little. I also tried to apt-get upgrade ivtv (after apt-get update), which I figured would be the easiest way to upgrade it, and started to download like 100+ packages. And they didn't all make it, so I did apt-get upgrade ivtv --fix-broken. Still didn't get all of the packages.
I tried to see if anything had changed and it looks like some sql settings are changed. When I try to run either the front or back end Xterm spits that I can't connect to the mysql socket for some reason. So now I'm kinda stuck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:46 pm 
You cannot apt-get install ivtv as they is no deb for it, I've posted on install from source. What kind of video card do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:53 pm 
I'm using a XFX branded GeForce MX400 and the drivers loaded with the install-nvidia.sh script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:02 pm 
if you installed the install-i686-lx script that is the problem with the segfaults. This is a known problem in 0.12 of mythtv which knoppmyth comes with. 0.13 corrects it.

As for the volume that you change with the remote it is not your tv volume or the ivtv volume. the volume you change is the pcm output volume, but it should still make a difference in the overall volume, the only time I can think that it might not is if you are using like a headphone out without powered speakers, but it should still make some difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:25 pm 
Yuppers. The remove volume should be changing the PCM, which I should hear on my speakers. I'm using an Audigy2 card, and I took at look (as much as possible on the TV) at alsamixer and it looked like it detected just fine and the settings were not muted. Anyways, I hear the program, just can't change the volume.

This really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Remote changes PCM, PCM affects output on soundcard, speakers pick up from card. I'm sure something's not right in that chain, I'm just not sure how to check that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:49 pm 
I scrapped everything and did a clean install using the non-Xv scrpits and low and behold it didn't seg fault on me. So I got that going, but I still can't get the remote to change the volume. Is the emu10k1 driver installed by default?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:03 pm 
lsmod will tell you what is loaded. Since it is an Audigy, I assume that module is loaded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:44 pm 
Yup. Loaded just fine. I'm all out of possibilites. The remotes changing the myth volume (both master and pcm) just fine. It looks like that change is just not getting used. I haven't set it it to use an external mixer, and I'll out of ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:13 pm 
You can try Kano's experimental alsa installer.
http://kano.mipooh.net/install-alsa-knoppix.bash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:12 pm 
After a little fustration (forgot chmod and apt-get update), I got the script to work, except that the alsa configure program doesn't recognize the sound card as a PCI Audigy2 (doesn't see anything), and I'm sure I chose the right driver and all for it (emu10k1). I'll dig through the alsa archives and see if I can find something to help me out. Thanks so far, and I pray I can figure this out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:21 pm 
You're welcome. I hope you get it figured out. Do you have another soundcard you can test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:27 pm 
The board has a VIA AC'97 support, but I'm not sure how to rebuild the alsa bits to include that, or the exact chip. I'll have to look it up, and find out how to blank everything out and run that script to rebuild alsa support. The script and config tools are easy enough when you know what sound chip/driver you need support for. I'll work on that and post on how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:46 am 
I didn't see date on some forums I visted, so I'm not sure if this is out of date or not, but from what I read the stable version of the emu10k1 driver does not support the Audigy 2 card. The need to get the CVS version and build that. Now I have to figure out how to do that, and then how to rebuild alsa. How do I remove all the alsa stuff the script installed, or do I need to remove it at all? I haven't quite wrapped my head around building/configuring kernel modules and the such. Thanks again for the help.

Go to page 1, 2  Next