View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:03 pm 
I am trying to install R5A16. During the initial hardware configuration, I get an Error: CLE266 VGA Adaptor not found. or something. The screen changes before I have a chance to read it all. I then go through the auto-install procedure.

At the end of the install right before it tells me I need to reboot. I get a lot of random text output (none of it is left justified, just kinda thrown on the screen). Again, it gets cleared before I can read much of it. I did see "cant stat ..."

I reboot anyway and remove the CD... after BIOS, it shows "PCI Device Listing ..." (then the listing). Afterwhich:

Verifying DMI Pool Data .................
Boot from CD:

and this is where it just hangs there. No CD in the drive, nor should there be.

HW:
ASUS A7N8x-E Deluxe mobo
AMD AthlonXP 2500+
512 MB ram
Seagate 7200.7 120 GB /hda
Seagate 7200.8 300 GB /hdb
Seagate 80 GB SATA drive
PVR-250
PVR-250MCE
D-Link wireless PCI card
nVidia FX5200 AGP card (svid,dvi,vga)

I have tried the install on my 27" Sony WEGA with svideo connection, and tv<ENTER> at initial prompt. no luck.
I have tried with my Dell 2001FP flat-screen computer monitor with VGA, same problem.
I have tried unattaching the SATA drive, just because. No luck.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:50 pm 
Perhaps after installing, you should set your BIOS to boot from the hard drive.... Don't worry about the errors you saw (unless you got cloop errors).

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:27 pm 
good suggestion, just tried that. Now it hangs after "Verifying DMI Pool Data ............."

I take it this behaviour hasn't been seen before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:09 am 
This is a hardware issue before KnoppMyth even starts to boot. If memory serves someone else had the same problem months and months ago.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:57 am 
Ah, so it was....

I took out the PVR-250, Dlink wireless pci, SATA drive, and 300GB drive. Now KnoppMyth installs with 'auto-install' just fine. I'll do some one-by-one installs tomorrow so I can find the culprit. Too tired to keep at it tonight, looks like i'll be using the VCR to record Tour de France tomorrow morning :)

thanks cesman

Post subject: Same thing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:51 pm 
I just tried an auto-install with R5A16 and get the exact same error. I don't know if i got the flashing/unformatted text you got but i may have missed it. If you find out anything about this please post. I'll do the same.

Hardware:
Mobo: Asuse A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
pcHDTV HD-3000
512MB RAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:45 pm 
I'm having, I think, a similar issue... Also an Asus board, but mine is the A7N266-C (nForce 415D).

I started with a manual installation, because I was trying to dual boot.
After running the installation, I would reboot to the hard drive and nothing would happen.

I'm a Linux idiot. So I went with something I'm more comfortable with: I booted DOS and used Ranish partition manager to make my windows partition active, and it booted fine. That rules out the hardware as being defective, as some have suggested.

Then I thought I would go ahead and wipe it out, and see if an auto-install would work.

At the apparent end of the install, I get the message that the auto-install failed. No other details are given.

Now I note that many of us are using Asus nforce boards here, and another fellow with an A7N266 posted this in another thread:

Evildick wrote:
There was two lines at the very beginning of lilo.conf that had 'part:' in the beginning, the rest I don't remember. I removed those just to see what happened, saved the file and did a 'lilo -v'. System booted right into linux and started the configuration (it almost made me cry, lol).

I'm going to test it. I'm such a linux noob it will take me hours to find lilo.conf and figure out how to edit it. (update I don't think I have a lilo.conf file. I tried this:
Boot off the CD.
Select option 6 to quit.
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
chroot /mnt/hda1
lilo -v

but I get an error:
/etc/lilo.conf: no such file or directory

I tried it again, auto-install, and it just worked. Dunno what was so different about it this time, but it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:31 pm 
After a few trys i ended up unplugging my second hard drive and bam it booted. I guess i'll just format it and install it manually...

there are a few other threads on this exact issue so maybe the mods should join them or something.