View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:24 am 
Hello,

maybe it's just a silly question... but, how I'm supposed to syntonize the stations??

I've finally completed my setup. I started with a PIII-500Mhz with a Pinnacle Sys PCTV card, which wasn't enough for (even just watching) live TV. I've recenltly upgraded to a Duron1400 which delivers the horsepower needed, and now I can watch live TV with no problem... but I only can see snow on the screen!! How the syntonizing of stations work??
It's XMLTV supposed to take care of that??
(BTW, I'm in SPAIN... anyone using knoppmyth R4 over there??)

On the other hand, I'm using a wireless USB adapter to connect to my home LAN (and then to Internet). After installing from source the corresponding drivers, at config time, knoppmyth recognizes that fact perfectly, and lets mes configure it (asks me for all the params: essid, mode, channel, etc...). But at boot time, it simply doesn't work.
I need more time to look at the boot process for the wireless card to check what's wrong, but I just wanted to state that point to see if someone else has encountered problems with this point.
I've just edit the init files and added an ugly hack (to run iwconfig and ifconfing and route with all the params manually) to get it to work temporally, but anyone knows something else about this??

I'll now try to update XMLTV and see if I can solve the syntonizing stations problem.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:43 am 
Well the stations are generally set up when you go through the mythtv setup and setup your video sources, however I know this is a bit tricky for different countries. I know nothing of weither it works in spain or not. IF you do not get an answer here you may want to ask over on the mythtv mailing list as there is probably a greater chance of finding someone using it in spain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:20 pm 
Searching through MythTV mailing lists I finally got the answer.
You have to syntonize the stations manually!! :(

It's not easy, but it's not difficult either. The problem here is that analog TV in Europe comes in different frequencies, depending on the area. Therefore, once you run XMLTV for the first time to get the station listing, you've to run mythfilldatabase with the --preset --manual parameters. This way you can hand-code the corresponding frequencies for each station in you area...

Anyway, hope this helps anyone before, like me, has to go through several mailing lists and contacts several people till got the right answer (why in the hell it's not this info on the MythTV docs?? Is everybody using MythTV supposed to live in the USA and have cable TV!! :(

--
Txema
txema@torne.net