View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:10 pm 
Alright, I'll admit this from the begining. Not only is this my first venture into building my own computer, its my first time using Linux, and my first AMD chipset. On to the problem.

I have the hardware up and running. 1st problem I notice is that the s-video out on my video card (Chaintech Volari V3) isn't sending a signal to my television.

Problem number 2. Whenever I attempt my autoinstal, It fails. I can get past the password stuff, and all the way through the coppying files phase, and then i just get an error message saying "Auto-instalation failed!". No details as to why.

3rd problem. (I think this might have something to do with the other two, but im not sure) Occasionally, i get an error on the bottom line saying "No CLE266 VGA Adapter Found", then it dissapears and goes onto the next screen.

For the sake of context, heres my list of hardware.

Barebones kit:
Chaintech SK8T800 Socket 754 MoBo
AMD SEmpron 2800+ Socket 754 Palermo core CPU
Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3

Added Hardware:
Chaintech XGI V3 Chipset 128MB Video Card TV & DVI
Seagate 250GB EIDE HDD 7200/8MB/ATA-100

I will be more than happy to UPS a fresh batch of deepfried oatmeal cream pies to any one who helps me fix my problems!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:27 pm 
when i try the manual install, rather than the auto, i get an error when i try to partition the drive. it says my hard disk is read only, i have no permission to write.

this thing is frustrating the crap outta me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:53 pm 
you might want to verify the md5sum on your downloaded image and reburn at a slower speed. the only time I've seen the autoinstall failed message was when I had a bad burn.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:38 am 
alright. everything is up and running. sort of. i think im having problems with my video card, because everything is displayed in skewed colors. dark blues, reds, purples. in otherwords, impossible to read, making it hard to configure the settings. any tips on how to install the linux drivers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:44 am 
good luck on those drivers. I just read a "review" of them a month or so back which the "review" was just them trying about 8 different ways to install them and failing miserably every time. So their "review" was the drivers suck no matter what we tried we couldn't make them work.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:52 am 
i solved my video card problem. i swapped it out with another video card in one of my windows boxes. worked right off the line. now, i need to figure out why ic ant watch tv. i think it has something to do with how i set up mythtv, considering i couldnt read what i was doing when i finially installed it. this i will be able to solve on my own, i hope.

the other problem is getting the s-video to work. i have yet to send ANY signal to my television. any idead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:17 pm 
ive been strugling with this mythbox for a week now. i have all the hardware "working", in the sense than it runs the os. my problems are as follows.

1. cant get it to play tv. i did get about ten chanels briefly, but that stopped workign, and im not sure why, now all i get is black. the chanel guide works though.

2. no s-video. i can run this fine off a standard computer monitor, but when i run m video card to the tv, nothing. no signal at all.

3. i think most of these probelms could be solved with installing the linux drivers for the hardware, but i havent the slightest idea how to do that.

seriously, im up for any ideas and suggestions. im half tempted to wipe the system, install a basic version of linux, and compile mythtv on top of this. like i said, im an uber-noob to myth AND linux, so i really need a helping hand here. i thank any one for their time in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:22 pm 
1. Did you check the log? Search if you don't know how...

2. You're not giving any details for folks to try and help. Is it an nvidia, ati, etc.

3. You're not giving any details for folks to try and help. What kind of hardware.

4. Good luck.

Time to start a new thread as these are not issues related to installing.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:28 pm 
will do, thanks