View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:22 am 
Here's the situation: I want to install /, swap and cache on a small IDE drive. Then I want /myth on two SATA drives. Using the manual install I don't quite understand if this is an option, it appears that I can partition only one drive and can install on only one drive. I am not an experienced Linux user so straying from the standard install is difficult for me. Can anyone explain to me how this situation can be accomplished?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:15 pm 
It can be acomplished but you do have to stray away from the standard install. Do a manual instal and create the 3 partitions. After installing (and rebooting) don't configure MythTV. Setup LVM first, then configure. You can find more details on LVM by searching the forum and wiki. You'll also want to read this.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:37 pm 
If I am doing the manual install and have created my three partitions on hda then /myth is going to install on hda. So now I create LVM with hda and sda I will be spreading /myth across both drives, if I follow you correctly. My intention is to have 1 or more SATA drives with just my collections on them and the base MythTV on a small IDE. I have done my desktop PC that way and have found it much easier to upkeep, upgrade or move drives to a new PC. It looks like if I followed your method and just did LVM on the SATA I would be on the path I am looking for but then would have to do some configuration to move the path of /myth to just the SATA. This is where I get lost, not knowing what all would have to be changed. Have you tried this method before?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:31 pm 
Consider the /myth directory created under /dev/hda1 as a temporary expedient.

- Shut down the myth frontend and backend processes
- Tar up the contents of /myth into another location and then remove everything under that directory, leaving the empty directory itself as a mount point.
- Set up your LVM drives
- Mount the lvm volume on /myth
- Untar the backup you made back into the new /myth volume...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:53 pm 
OK, I think I've got it now. The only thing left to do is try it, and maybe ask more questions :wink:

Thanks to both of you!