View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:42 am 
So when I goto manual installation and Partioning I get an error that disk size cannot be determined and can't be written on.

I know there are several threads on the subject but I read through them and mine problem might be a bit different not sure. I actually browsed throught the whole Installation section but still didn't figure out the answer to my problem.

I also ran a md5checksum check on the image and it matches the one mentioned on the website and burned it twice and it's very unlikely that something went wrong twice.

Could anyone give me some tips ?

Thanks

Last edited by Eldis on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:13 pm 
I've read through the manual install guide multiple times and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I had Suse 9.3 installed until this evening when I started running this so my drives are fine. I ran suse installation disk again and used it to remove all the partiotions from the drive after my first problem, dunno why really I just thought it might help but had no effect.

I'm a bit of a newbie in these kinds of things so I really don't know what I could do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:35 pm 
I also rumbled through bios and found no mention of enabling or disabling SATA features or going to SATA enhanced mode as mentioned somewhere.

Any ideas what I could still try ? I've heard a lot of good things about this distribution but I'm stuck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:48 pm 
Eldis wrote:
I know there are several threads on the subject but I read through them and mine problem might be a bit different not sure. I actually browsed throught the whole Installation section but still didn't figure out the answer to my problem.

I'm guessing that this isn't as unique as you think it is, especially since you didn't give us detailed symptoms of how it was different.
Eldis wrote:
I also ran a md5checksum check on the image and it matches the one mentioned on the website and burned it twice and it's very unlikely that something went wrong twice.

We had some poor guy just this past week or so who had an incompatibility between his burner nad the drive he was trying to read it on, using a different drive was the magic cure. If you think that could be the case try burning with a different drive or swapping drives around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:32 am 
I used the same compination to burn and read the cd\dvd for suse and that seemed to work. But I guess I can try with some old cd drive if that would make any difference.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:23 pm 
Don't get too far off in the weeds about the CD image, I think you problem is one of the usual SATA ones. I just didn't want you to totally write off the possibility of a bad/incompatible burn since it's usually an easy thing to try.