View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Multiboot planning
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:18 pm 
Hello Cesman and other forum members,

I have enjoyed this distribution very much so far and have decided to make a permanent home for it, but I need a little more detail for completion of a manual install. I have been setting up a system (Chaintech nForce, Leadtek TV2000XP, 512 RAM, 80G HD) and have been through some good and bad installs trying to find a Linux distribution that fits my needs. I have settled on PCLinuxOS v5 for normal environment. What I would like to do is have the ability to choose KnoppMyth from lilo at boot. I have everything on my HD backed up so I have been pretty casual about installing these two systems a few times to try to get partitioning right. I have had modest success. My plan was to have:

hda1: / for PClinuxOS
hda2: swap
hda3: / for KnoppMyth
hda5: / cache
hda6: /home for PClinux and /myth

So far, I have done an autoinstall of knoppmyth and gotten that running with no problem. However, I can't create another partition and install PClinux after an auto install (cfdisk says too many partitions and fdisk hda gives me a different map than cfdisk.... weird). After the latest autoinstall, I noticed that lilo didn't install and now I have to boot from CD again. I can probably fix that, but is it possible lilo couldn't clear out the lilo from the PClinux install? I have read how to flush the mbr and will try to remedy this.

Anyway, I have turned to the manual install and have read the directions, but could use some pointers from anyone who has set up a multi-boot system with KnoppMyth. I have not tried the instructions under ***NOTE*** about editing the config file with vi, but I will try it tonight.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there any problem using extended partitions for /cache and /myth?
2) Is there any problem using hda3 for knoppmyth rather than hda1 as it specifically states in the instructions? (I never know when there is wiggle room in Linux directions).
3) Is there any problem using my hda6 for /home and /myth depending on the choice in lilo? I have mounting worked out in single boot systems, but multi-boots are still conceptually difficult for me.
4) There is no option for setting /cache and /myth in the manual configuration. Do you just mount them post-install? Anything else that needs to be done manually after an manual install that is done automatically in the auto install?

Anyway, the basic question is: starting with a blank slate, what steps would you take to set up a system that could boot into Knoppmyth or another full featured Linux distribution? Yes, I know I could apt-get everything, but Tex at PClinux has put together a cool system. Order of installation and secret bonus step advice is appreciated because I am new and it might help others in the future.

Thanks all, nrj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:15 pm 
The only problem I see is making hda6 /home and /myth, I wouldn't do this. If you follow the manual install instructions, you should have no problems with making hda3 / for KnoppMyth.. The instructions under ****NOTE**** is what you need to follow.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!