View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HD/partition layout
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:10 am 
I have 2 harddrives, one 20 GB (MAXTOR 6L020J1)and one 120 GB (Maxtor 6Y120P0) the biggist difference between the two drives (except the size ofcource ;))is the cache, 2 and 8 MB.
What do you guys think is the best setup to use my harddrives?
I was thinken about installing knoppmyth on the 20 GB and mount the 120 GB as /myth.
Or is it a better idea to install knoppmyth on the 120 GB and use the 20 to store some other data on, like some MP3 files or use it to backup stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:56 am 
I'd say it'd probably be easier to install to the 120 and use the 20 for other junk. The installation is much smoother when you are installing onto a single drive... if you used your Plan A, you'd need to fiddle with fstab after the initial installation, etc.

You can also then add a big honking HD afterwards to add to the 120... 20GB isn't much for SD recording , let alone HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:00 pm 
Actually 20Gb is just about right for the "/", "swap", and "/cache" partitions. It would mean either doing a manual install, or some post install adjustments, but nothing all that hard.

Say, 4-5 Gb for /, swap equal to your RAM or 0.5 to 1Gb, and the rest 12-15Gb for cache. The second drive then gets used for /myth.

As an experiment I might actually do an automatic install, then delete the /myth and /cache partitions and recreate /cache from that, leaving / and swap as is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:14 pm 
Hi,
Just have to throw in my 2 cents also. I would use my best hardware that I have on hand and use the 120 for the "real" KnoppMyth system. Get it all setup (do a backup) then let it run and work for your entertainment. :)

Then, take the 20 and use left over hardware to learn and play. Even if you don't have a tv card it will do a lot so set it all up (do a backup). Later if you "obtain" a tv card great, in the between time, you can poke at it, tweak this or that try different suggestions all the while learning... If you really break something a simple auto upgrade from the original cd and you are almost where you start, you did do a backup right?

KnoppMyth is an entertainment tool, however it runs on Debian which will support many other tools.

Mike