View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:41 pm 
This is for version R5A 16.

I get to the point of autoconfiguring devices, and it either hangs or the kernel panics.

I have scoured the forums for different suggestions, I've disabled useless BIOS settings, tried different kernel flags; for example noapic. Same thing everytime. I've downloaded different ISOs from different mirrors and reburned them. I've also tried R5A 15.1. Same thing every time. Also, I am unable to boot failsafe.

I can boot other Knoppix based distros I have. The machine is in perfect working order.

Please help... hardware is as follows..

Dell Dimension 2350
Intel Pentium 4 2.20 GHz
256 MB RAM
GeForce 2 MX 4000
WinTV-PVR-350

Last edited by matt on Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:34 pm 
Could it be that your hardware needs a module that is not included in cesman's kernel? You could use a knoppix that works and see what modules are installed and then check the kernel configuration on the knoppmyth cd to see if cesman has included all the modules used. Just an Idea. dont know if it would help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:57 pm 
It's possible... these seem to be the KnoppMyth modules:

Code:
intel_agp agpgart parport_pc parport 8250 serial_core
ohci1394 pcmcia yenta_socket rsrc_nonstatic pcmcia_core video thermal processor
fan container button battery ac rtc cloop ieee1394 usb_storage ohci_hcd uhci_hcd
usbcore tmscsim BusLogic

And these are from another Knoppix distro (ClusterKnoppix in this case):

Code:
autofs4 af_packet i810_audio ac97_codec soundcore b44 serial mousedev hid input pcmcia_core thermal processor fan button battery ac rtc cloop ieee1394 usb-storage usb-uhci usbcore ataraid ide-scsi

That one boots fine all the way to the KDE session. KnoppMyth I cannot get past the autoconfiguring devices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:01 pm 
That seems to be a seriously different set of modules. What kernel version is ClusterKnoppix based on? You really want to be doing a comparison with something similar.

Have you tried removing the tuner card? There was a post about twinhan cards that had a similar issue. The got around it by removing the card, installing, upgrade kernel, install card.

This guy seemed not to have a problem with a similar system:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... =dell+2350

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:21 pm 
ClusterKnop is based off a 2.4.x kernel I beleive. But this machine works fine with 2.6.x also. I tried removing the tuner card as you suggested. If i boot with no kernel flags, it kernel panics (like it was before), hard to tell what is causing it, it just continously scrolls output. If I boot with the noapic flag, I only get a small amount of output (still kernel panic).

Code:
Oops: 0003 [#1]
PREEMPT SMP
Modules linked in: intel_agp agpgart parport_pc parport 8250 serial_core
ohci1394 pcmcia yenta_socket rsrc_nonstatic pcmcia_core video thermal processor
fan container button battery ac rtc cloop ieee1394 usb_storage ohci_hcd uhci_hcd
usbcore tmscsim BusLogic
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c011209d>] Not tainted VLI
EFLAGS: 00010046 (2.6.11.9-chw-2)
EIP is at smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x1d/0xd0
<snip>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:15 pm 
do you have a Dell supplied Sound blaster? long shot, but if you do, try with out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:24 pm 
Nope, everything is on-board except the GeForce and PVR cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:41 pm 
You say that you have disabled useless bios settings, but have you tried disabling some of the ones you intend to use (like the onboard sound). If that gets you over the installation hurdle you may be ok to re-enable them later (the kernel that the installer runs is not necessarily the same as the kernel that gets installed).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:55 pm 
Yes, I have disabled the onboard sound/network/serial/parallel. Tried passing various and no kernel flags. Same issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:59 pm 
Could it be a bad burn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:04 pm 
No, as I stated above, I've burned multiple images, from multiple mirrors.

However, I've just made some headway. I took out the GeForce card and used just the standard onboard video, and I am able to boot the CD to the KnoppMyth installation menu. So this appears to be an issue with that video card. Any idea as to why, and if after install I can get it to work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:13 pm 
You can always try. There are a number of success stories on the forum with people using geforce mx 4000 cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:25 pm 
Check to see if there is a BIOS setting to give preference to the PCI/AGP video over the motherboards built in video. It sounds like the kernel is getting confused about which video to use. My emachines motherboard has built in video and I could tell it to give the PCI video card priority.

I think you can also specify which video card X will use by telling it which PCI identifier. Unplug any video sources (TVs, monitors, etc) except the one monitor on the video card you are using during the install. Sometimes video cards can detect what displays are plugged in and get confused.

Best of luck!

Andrew Lynch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:24 pm 
Yeah, well that's one problem, the BIOS only allows me to set it to "Auto" or "OnBoard". Auto allows the GeForce to work, but the onboard I beleive also works on this setting if nothing is plugged into the PCI card. Haven't tested that theory. But if that is the issue, I certainly hope there's a way around it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:01 pm 
To follow up on this, adding intel_agp (module for onboard video) to blacklist will fix the issue.