View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Dual Install?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:58 am 
Hi,

I have an existing MythTV install on RH9. Is it possible to install Knoppmyth on the same system without wiping everything out? I want to try Knoppmyth but I am very reluctant to wipe out my RH9 installation since I know it works.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Dave

Post subject: Re: Dual Install?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:02 pm 
Explain same system. Same hard drive? Different partition, same partition?! Take a look at the manual install section of the docs.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:40 am 
I have a red hat installation on the same hard drive I would like to install knoppmyth to. Ultimately I would like to be able to choose beteen running RH and knoppmyth. I have another hard drive i could install would that be an easier solution?

Thanks
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:01 pm 
I'd envision KnoppMyth running on a single box all by itself, performing the functions of a set-top box. That is not to say what you want to do won't work. I have not done a dual boot w/ KnoppMyth nor do I plan to. What I'm about to suggest may not work and or eat your RedHat install. Follow at your OWN risk.

Assuming you have free unpartitioned space on the drive RedHat is on... Do a manual install with KnoppMyth as described in the documentation. PAY speciall attention to the **NOTE**. That is the key to getting what you want to do done. You'll want to install LILO on the partition NOT MBR. Once the install is complete and you've rebooted. RedHat will boot. You'll need to edit lilo.conf or grub.conf(?) and add an extry for KnoppMyth. if you are using LILO you'd need to add something like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-xfs
label="KnoppMyth"
root=/dev/hda5(or where every the root of KnoppMyth is...)
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="hdc=ide-scsi"(or which ever hdX is your CD-ROM)
vga=788
read-only

Don't forget to /sbin/lilo -v. Reboot.

Good luck,
cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:51 am 
Worked like a champ. My RH9 install w/myth took 3 hrs. Knoppmyth 20 minutes, great job guys!

Post subject: How about XP?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:37 pm 
I have a question similar to this original post, but I am interested in a knoppmyth/WinXP dual-boot system. (We need to have one WinXP box in the house for occasional use).

What I'm not sure of, after reading the install instructions and searching the archives, is whether the 'auto-install' option in knoppmyth wipes out all the exisiting partitions in the disk. The RH install lets me choose to install 'around' my existing windows partition...does knoppmyth provide a similar option under 'autoinstall'?

I realize that I could use manual install, or even let another distro such as RH partition the HD, but I'd like to use the most streamlined method available (read: the method that leaves me the least room to screw it up :))

Thanks in advance for any advice...I'm eager to try knoppmyth, after about two dozen myth install that don't *quite* work. - MMcK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:12 pm 
Auto install will wipe hda clean.