PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:28 pm 
Install components...

Geforce4 MX4000 card
Athlon XP 1900+
EGS 741GX-M motherboard
512mb pc2100
160gb Hitachi drive
NEC DVD Burner ND-3540A
Hauppague tv/fm tuner card (i beleive its a 401 series based on the chipset versioning info...)

Installing version R5A22

Well ive read the install instructions at http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?id=KnoppMythInstall and even attempted to follow some of the links and use the search both here and at the wiki, but cant seem to come up with the right answer.

On install everything APPEARS to be going smooth until i hit this point in the install instructions.

Quote:
4. Configuration will proceed, and the front end will attempt to start for the first time.

5. If you have an nVidia graphics card, when the front end attempts to start (the Xterm window will disappear and the KnoppMyth desktop will remain on the screen), you will have to install the nVidia graphic drivers. To do this, press <CTRL><ALT><F1> to exit X.

6. To install the nVidia drivers. Log in as root, R4VX type install-nvidia.sh R5AX type cd /usr/local/bin then type ls *nvidia* and then type install-nvidia-xxxx-debian.sh where xxxx is the driver version included in your KnoppMyth distribution.

Now during my search for information to the answer to step 6 (the version driver info) i ran across this post.

Xsecrets wrote:
Don't worry about the nvidia thing. It has a good driver on the disk, no need to go out to the internet.

Which confused me a bit, as Xsecrets' response leads me to beleive that in version R5A22 i can go ahead and skip the portion regarding installing nVidia drivers? Reason i ask is that when i followed the instructions in the How to from the wiki site, i log in as root and i manage to get to the kernel portion of the line.

I either follow above instructions ?(where i lack the version number for the Nvidia drivers on this install version)

Or

I also attempted the instructions from here http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page ... ostinstall
more specifically this portion

Quote:
If you have an nVidia based video card, now is the point at which we recommend installing the drivers. Press <CTRL><ALT><F1> to exit X. Log in as root. Then:

cd /usr/src
tar xjvf kernel<TAB>
install-nv<TAB>

following the above instructions lead me to an error (im currently attempting an install from the beginning once again to see if i can figure something out while this is posted.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by werds on Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:33 pm 
No worries... R5A22 will install the nVidia drivers.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:41 pm 
cesman wrote:
No worries... R5A22 will install the nVidia drivers.

hehe, thanks! i was figuring thats what Xsecrets meant :) Now to skip that portion and move along to my next fiasco lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:57 am 
Ok, ive managed to get most everything appearing to work properly for the moment.

But following the instructions to make sure the TV OUT works, i drop out of mythtv to the desktop and cit CTRL ALT F1, doing so causes a static screen to show up on my LCD and on the TV thats connected.

So i work my way around to root within the desktop and open up the

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file with xedit

i scroll my way down to the "Monitor" Section and nearly half the file seems to be settings for my LCD O.O

Now do i delete these settings and just leave this to get the TV out working?

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

HorizSync 30 - 50
VertRefresh 60

or if not, where in the all the info thats there about my LCD do i place this? (at the end? append it as its own seperate section and call it Monitor1?

current screen looks something like this

Code:
Section "Monitor"
             Identifier            "Monitor0"
             Option "DPMS"   "true"
             VendorName      "SNY"
             ModelName        "SNY1b90"
             HorizSync    28 - 81 # DDC Probed
             VertRefresh   50.0 - 75.0

#then from here to the end was just a very long listing of the different resolutions my LCD is capable of...<

Endsection

Im not quite sure where i should be placing thhis info, although all install sources ive read advise that i need to place this in this file to get TV out working properly.

Quote:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

HorizSync 30 - 50
VertRefresh 60

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:27 am 
:?

well in my impatience i went ahead with trying to figure it out on my own, ive succeeded in gettin it to display on my TV, but in the process i cant view the desktop via my LCD anymore lol.

Also i see two visibel scanlines on my tv when its displaying the Mythtv setup and even while flipping through channels.

Any idea how to get rid of these?

I wanna try and see if i can get rid of that before i step on towards trying to get the screen to stretch all the way to the edges of the screen....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:37 am 
You've gone past the point of installation. If you are trying to run dual head, then search the forum. Installation is for issues related installing.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!