View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:06 am 
Hello forum,

I've had all sorts of problems after upgrading from V16 to V22 a few days ago. As of right now:
- I can't watch TV
- when I try to change channels to find a different channel, mythfrontend locks up on a blank screen and I have to kill it off and restart it to get back into MythTV again
- I can't record. The recording "request" gets saved, but nothing ever records
- I can't watch any of my older recorded programs
- I can't rip CDs or DVDs
- I can't play games (not that I could in R16 anyway)

I can't believe that I appear to be the only one suffering after this upgrade!

My reasons for upgrading were:
- I had an old Twinhan TER card that had intermittent problems with sound dropping out in the middle of a recording. Only happened occasionally, but very annoying when it happened!
- the Twinhan card only got a very weak signal on one of our favorite channels. I've got line-of-sight access to the transmitter and a great signal on analog TV, so I figured it was just a card issue, but you never really know
- I had a newish AverTV USB card that I wanted to install, but it wasn't supported till the 2.6.13 kernel

I figured "why upgrade the kernel, when a new release is available with 2.6.13?". Big mistake - now I've got a very annoyed partner who is missing all her favorite shows!

Help!

What I've done:
- backed up my old config
- auto upgraded to V22, which seemed to go without incident
- fired up MythTV, which then had no EPG, and no channels configured (seemed strange, but I thought that's why you backup your config beforehand)
- restored my old config
- had to change the path to allow me to view my photos. They're in /myth/gallery, but the config now pointed somewhere else. After changing the config, I could view the photos fine
- thought I found the same problem with recorded shows, which are in /myth/tv. However, even after changing the config to point to /myth/tv MythTV can't seem to find them any more
- had to rescan for channels (why? I thought the backup stored this stuff!). However, on doing so, I found none of them were viewable in either of the two TV cards (Twinhan and AverTV)
- confirmed that I can record OK with the AverTV card via the command line, so the card itself is working OK. I can watch the recordings fine
- confirmed that MythTV still doesn't let me watch TV with the AverTV card

To be honest, I've lost track of the number of things I've tried to get it working, and I'm now at my wit's end. I can't see anything in dmesg or /var/log/messages that might be relevant; these look pretty well perfect, except very little actually works.

Questions:
- has anyone else had this sort of major screwup as a result of the V22 upgrade?
- where should I even be looking? I'm not exactly an expert with Linux video, but even simple things like redirecting MythTV to look in /myth/tv for recordings doesn't seem to be working

Note that I'm not asking for someone to solve all my problems - MythTV is a bit of a hobby for me, and I generally enjoy playing with it - but I've reached the limits of my knowledge with it at this point and can't get any of the TV related functions to work

Thanks in advance

monch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:58 am 
well something didn't go right during the upgrade, because when you do a restore all the settings you mentioned from the database get restored too. not sure what to tell you beyond that though maybe one of the dvb guys will pop in and comment.

Xsecrets