View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:52 pm 
I'm new to KnoppMyth, this is my first time playing with it. It seemed like the most logical idea for what I'm doing...

I have an old Athlon XP 1600+ system that was just sitting around at home. So I installed a WinTV Go Plus tv tuner card and an extra HD, and I was going to make it a dedicated MythTV box. The problems with KnoppMyth seems to be....odd...

When I try to auto-install, it fails. KnoppMyth-auto fails on line...600 I think (This is all coming from my memory...). When it detects my harddrives, it sets the first to hde and second to hdf, so none of the automated scripts work properly... I know for a fact that both of these IDE drives should be reading as a and b... the only explanation is if my PCI ATA100 card is some how being read first? There's no drives on it so I can safely remove it without a problem, but it doesn't make sense for that to be happening unless the kernel is set to read PCI IDE cards first?

That does seem to be the root of my problem. I was able to to get the manual install to start, but it fails in formatting because the script looks to format hda's, not hde's... I was able to run KnoppMyth-install from the command line directly, and it functioned by it didn't right the MBR records properly and it just loaded my old lilo installs from the system that used to be on there (was my old slackware box).

Any ideas? I think the biggest challenge is fixing it reading the drives as e and f. The PCI card is the only thing that makes sense...but...it doesn't make sense for a knoppix kernel to be detecting IDE cards before motherboard IDE devices...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:16 pm 
Hi spydirweb,

Interesting issues.

Suggest doing the testcd to make sure your burn is good. Then start with only one drive, jumpered to be master and then connected to correct ribbon connector (usually last.)I would use the smaller drive as later you can add the larger drive for the main storage.

To start, just keep it simple and as you learn about the system, get creative :)
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:35 pm 
Auto install only works on /dev/hda. I suggest you read before yelling about something not FINISHING. Use manual install.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:13 pm 
I did try manual install. It also didn't work. I guess I didn't mention that at first.

I try removing that ATA card and it detected properly. I just don't understand why the kernel's compiled to read the ATA card devices before onboard devices. It doesn't really make much sense to me...

Right now I'm working on getting it properly set up. It did install, though. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:11 am 
Are you sure it's not your bios setting up the PCI card as primary master?