View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:50 pm 
Can anyone point me to relavent posts here regarding the following:

I have searched but only found 'bootleg' 'unsupported' attempts at fooling the system into accepting two operating systems installed.

I have a working knoppmyth. I don't want to lose it.
I want to install a second newer knoppmyth and test it out before I commit to using it permanently.

Is this commonly done?
If not, why am I one of the few people with this idea?

David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:56 pm 
davidg wrote:
If not, why am I one of the few people with this idea?
This seems like such an odd question to ask... Myself and the testers test KnoppMyth a great deal. Unless some totally tweaked an install, doing a backup and auto-upgrade should just work...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:54 pm 
I don't know why others would want to test a new installation but I can think of at least one reason I would want to do a test first.
I have an xbox running as my frontend and I would want to make sure I could get it all connected nicely, read simply, before I fully committed to the upgrade.

Thanks for all the great work guys.
________
DURANGO

Last edited by mythtester on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: request...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:01 pm 
I am only asking that plans be condered to allow installation to other partition arrangements. It doesn't have to be today. In a year would be fine. Please be open minded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:56 pm 
It has definitely been though about mostly brought on by sata which will have to be addressed anyways. Quite frankly though the final release of R5 is still planned to have a new GUI installer, and any major changes to the install will most likely not happen until the new installer is in place.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:33 pm 
One can already install using whatever partitioning scheme one chooses. One simply has to do a manual install. We cannot envision every way someone would want to use KnoppMyth. We have very specific goals in mind and that is what we are aiming for...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:52 am 
Another idea might be to use a different harddrive for the new test partition. It wouldn't have to be very large since you could still reconnect your current master up to another ide port so the /myth/tv partition is available. Then when you want to tinker with test you just move your IDE cables about. You'll just need to remember what's what!

I've been thinking about doing this because my master myth install is OLD (v4r5) but I've been hesitant to upgrade because of all the manual customizations I've made plus one of my tuners controls a dish network box so I'll have to reconfigure lirc and get all that working but I don't know if I can complete that during an install window :wink: (between 10pm and 9am which if I didn't have to sleep would be fine) so I'd like to switch back to old and stable if I don't get new and flashy working quickly. This is particularly important during the holiday recording season as the penalty for missing A Charlie Brown Christmas is severe!

The slave backends are both at 5AR16 (I've recompiled mythtv by hand as it came out on the mythtv.org site to keep all the backends playing nice together.)