View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: btaudio
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:26 am 
Hi,

I completed installation and everything is working great (great job on this distro guys)!

However I was trying to use btaudio instead of the patch cable from my tuner sound out to my soundcard line in. I tried a "insmod btaudio" which reveals these lines in dmesg:

btaudio: driver version 0.7 loaded [digital+analog]
btaudio: Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0b.1, irq: 10, latency: 32, mmio: 0xe6001000
btaudio: using card config "default"
btaudio: registered device dsp1 [digital]
btaudio: registered device dsp2 [analog]
btaudio: registered device mixer1

however I still don't have sound if I unplug the patch cable. I've gotten it working in the past, so I know its possible, but I must be missing something. Any help is appreciated-

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:08 pm 
I guess I'll answer my own question for anyone that cares.

Once you see the btaudio assignmets from dmesg you are almost there. Change your capture device audio to /dev/dsp1 (in original setup). Then you MUST restart the backend for settings to take effect.

To get this working automatically on boot, add these lines to /etc/mythtv/modules/bttv

options btaudio rate=32000 dsp1=1 dsp2=2 mixer=1 debug=2
alias sound-slot-1 btaudio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:58 pm 
I have follwed your directions above and I cannot successfully get sound out of my sound card. When I connect the speakers to the out of the TV tuner I get sound.

I have a LeadTech 200 deluxe with on-board sound.

Thanks.
Mike G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:18 pm 
mgordon wrote:
I have follwed your directions above and I cannot successfully get sound out of my sound card. When I connect the speakers to the out of the TV tuner I get sound.

I have a LeadTech 200 deluxe with on-board sound.

Thanks.
Mike G.

Mike, most tuner cards do not support btaudio. From the mythtv.org documentation:

Works with btaudio:

Hauppauge WinTV-radio with dbx-TV stereo, model 401
Hauppauge WinTV-Theater, model 495, 498 (Europe)
ATI TV Wonder

The following cards do not work:
Pinnacle Studio PCTV Pro - note: this has a MSP34xx, but it's not wired correctly to the BT878 chip.
ATI TV Wonder VE
Leadtek Winfast 2000 XP (PAL, UK and NTSC)
I/O Magic PC-PVR. No MSP34xx chip.

So your card doesn't support btaudio. I have an ATI TV Wonder (non VE series) and it works fine with btaudio (in fact, it improves the sound tremendously)

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:54 pm 
bigjohn wrote:

People do care. I monitor the board alot and try and answer the questions I can. Just because a question isn't answered asap don't mean people don't care...
bigjohn wrote:
Once you see the btaudio assignmets from dmesg you are almost there. Change your capture device audio to /dev/dsp1 (in original setup). Then you MUST restart the backend for settings to take effect.

To get this working automatically on boot, add these lines to /etc/mythtv/modules/bttv

Thanks for the information...btaudio is a sticky wicket, I'm sure this will help those w/ tuner cards that support btaudio.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:45 am 
Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:53 am 
bigjohn wrote:

Big John thanks for help! Can you please explain "Change your capture device audio to /dev/dsp1 (in original setup). " How do I go about doing such a thing?

Last edited by rcam on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:18 pm 
Quote:
Big John thanks for help! Can you please explain "Change your capture device audio to /dev/dsp1 (in original setup). " How do I go about doing such a thing?

login as the mythtv user and type 'mythtv-setup' at the command prompt (assuming you are using knoppmyth) When you specify the tuner settings, set the audio to the digital output device

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:07 pm 
Shortly after my post I figured out what you meant. I have uncovered the reason for my problems. This is an unresolved issue for many Knoppmyth/MythTV users, the common audio chipset known as AMD768 AC97 Audio or AMD 8111. This chipset is a clone of the Intel i810 chipset, therefore it was decided to make the Intel i810 driver the default for the AMD768 AC97. Alan Cox has fixed the problem. Linus Torvalds is also aware of the problem and approved Alan's patch which is present in Kernel 2.6 Test10. This new Kernel should resolve all problems with KnoppMyth such as lagging video, horrible audio, and so on. I for one, have no interest in replacing my Kernel, so hopefully we can put together a patch for KnoppMyth users.