View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:20 am 
Hey all, (very sorry, but I mistakenly posted this topic in Linux Installation rather than here)

I've downloaded r5a16 and successfully installed it. The hardware is:

AMD Athlon 1800+
512 mb ram
Onboard video
Onboard audio
2 Tuners (a. WinTV PVR-150 b. WinTV-Gosomethingsomething)
monitor is a 61 inch dlp connected using PC-Input from onboard video

I'm really impressed how easy it has been to get this far. The problem arises when I run mythtv-setup. I have very little idea of what to put when setting up a capture device and therefore can't get a correct configuration. I'm worried about configuring the PVR-150 first and then i'll worry about setting up the second tuner.

I chose to use the mpeg (pvr-250/pvr-350) thinking that it was the same thing. For video device I set it as video0, even though there were around 30 options to choose video0 was the single option with choices for the default inputs (television, comp1, s-video, comp-3) I set the default input to comp1 since that's where my feed is going to be coming from, and the rest i used defaults.

For source, I created a zap2it account and successfully ran mythtvfilldb.

what happens is whenever I start mythtv and choose to "WATCH TV" the screen goes black and the sound shuts off(or there's just nothing to hear). The machine is not frozen because I can get back to a shell if i press ctrl+shift+F1 (or something like that). I've tried basically every variation of the settings I could using video0 and all produce the same black screen. Is video0 what I should be using? How do I tell which device is which tuner? The video feed is coming from an ipod video via composite cables and I know its good, because i can see it on other monitors.

Please shed some light on me here. If you could just post the configuration of a PVR-150 that would be very helpful, or help me understand what I'm missing, thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:07 pm 
not sure if you fixed your problem or not, but anyways...
The PVR-150 and WinTV-GO cards do not have the built in MPEG2 encoder/decoder chip, so you would need to choose a Standard V4L capture card, not an MPEG2 encoder card.

To find out which card is detected as /dev/video0 and /dev/video1, open a shell and run dmesg | more and look for the line
ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================

The 6th or 7th line after that should be some similar to this(this is from my dmesg output)

ivtv0: Autodetected WinTV PVR 250 card (iTVC16 based)

and this is /dev/video0.
for /dev/video1 you should see something like:

ivtv1: Autodetected WinTV GO card (iTVC16 based)

Hope this helps, let us know if you need more help. :)