View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:52 am 
Hello,
I am attempting a new install on KnoppMyth after viewing the video clip on Systm with Kevin and Dan.
I am able to install R5A16 and configure my Antenna type, Zap2It info and internet info. However, I cannot setup my AirStar HD-5000 card (R5A22 required).
I Auto upgraded to R5A22 (and have tried direct installs of A22) and the system crashes upon attempting to start X GDM. I've looked through the forums and attempts to install "install-nvidia-7174-debian.sh" cause a crash too. I know the system has crashed because my ssh connection dies when the X GDM starts up.
I have verified the correct md5 checksum of both (A16 and A22) .iso files. I have verified both burned CDs using testcd.

Here is my hardware configuration:
Pentium 4 640
ASRock 775Dual-915GL with 512MB RAM
BFG nVidia FX 5200 Ultra 128MB
AirStar-HD5000-PCI Rev 3.1
Emprex DVD+-RW DL IDE Slave (/dev/hdb)
WD 200GB HDD IDE Master (/dev/hda)
Floppy Disk Drive
PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard
Static IP address (crash occurs with DHCP as well)

I'll post my log file contents in a later message.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:06 am 
/mnt/hda1/var/log/XFree86.0.log file's contents at the end

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I have to boot from the install CD and mount the MythTV install partition to obtain visibility into the log files.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:38 am 
ashman3 wrote:
I Auto upgraded to R5A22 (and have tried direct installs of A22) and the system crashes upon attempting to start X GDM. I've looked through the forums and attempts to install "install-nvidia-7174-debian.sh" cause a crash too. I know the system has crashed because my ssh connection dies when the X GDM starts up.

I don't know what happened, but now my system doesn't crash/hang anymore. It consistantly yields the error message about being unable to obtain resources for X.

The screen flashes twice and then presents a GUI which provides access to the last few lines in the /var/log/XFree86.log file. Then I click OK, OK and EXIT to get to the shell. I can log on as root and view the file system.

I obtain the same results with an auto install R5A26 to R5A22 auto upgrade OR an auto install R5A16 to R5A26 auto upgrade. Don't know why the freezes stopped. Perhaps because I'm upgrading R5A22 or R5A26 directly from R5A16 instead of installing onto a freshly erased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:20 pm 
Go to http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=CheckingLogFiles and see the section on X. I'm guessing that you don't have any valid modelines when it's all said and done.

BTW - Boot your KnoppMyth install CD with these options "expert testcd" to make sure that there aren't any errors, and then bail out when you get to the menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:31 pm 
tjc,
I was able to run expert testCD. There were no errors. I tried to configure X but I didn't see any options to use the DVI connector for output. The last line before the installer starts complains about an undetected VGA connection. However, this information is displayed too briefly for me to be able to record what it says.
I will be reviewing the Log Files info at the URL you provided. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:34 pm 
I am beginning to get a better understanding of where the problem may reside (Or I may still be clueless). It may be the number of displays attached to my nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. I have a VGA monitor attached at the same time I had a TV connected via the S-Video port.

Under R5A16, my AirStar HD 5000 capture card is not recognized without a kernel upgrade and/or drivers for the card. At all times I have both a VGA monitor connected and the TV connected via S-Video. I don't know how the installer and KnoppMyth handle an installation without a capture card, but I think that's how R5A16 was treating my system.

This configuration is a bit simpler for the X configuration software due to fewer options. I think this may contribute to the reason I am able to complete the "post install" activities.

Under either R5A22 and R5A26, my capture card is recognized. It is an HD card and I don't have any suiteable monitors connected to the FX5200. Perhaps this is causing the X configuration software to make its best guess and that guess is not correct.

Here is my revised hardware configuration summary:
- GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 128MB with DVI, S-Video and VGA ports
* DVI: using DVI-D cable between HDTV and video card
* VGA: standard connection to my VGA Monitor
* S-Video: no connection
- AirStar HD 5000 HDTV Capture Card: using OTA Antenna

I am attempting to install and configure KnoppMyth to run on the DVI display. Eventually, nothing will be connected to the VGA port. How do I configure R5A26 to accomplish this setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:23 pm 
Whoa.... two monitors is an advanced topic. I've posted some TwinView config information before, but I don't recommend it because there are things that just don't work right with two monitors. If your TV can plug into a DVI port use that as your only output. Since it will look like a normal monitor to the card it should be as easy as falling off a log.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:55 pm 
I'll pursue a single monitor course. Does KnoppMyth have a configuration for using a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra's DVI port output into a HDTV's DVI input?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:55 pm 
Nothing explicit that I know of, I think the driver is supposed to autodetect the type of connection. A search here and in the wiki might turn up more. Check the HDTV subforum.