WinTV401 dbx
Soundblaster Live

The problem:
I boot from the CD.
Choose Auto Install
Enter Name, User name, password, root password, etc...hit OK

Get the following
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-3
/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-auto: line 608: / 1000000: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "/ 1000000")
root@tty1[/]#

Now what? I typed mythtv-setup after the # and got "cannot connect to X server"

I'm a complete Linux newbie, if you haven't already guessed that.

Post subject: Similiar problem..
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:51 pm 
Except I have a DELL P3-500
RIVA TNT 2 [NV04]

I pop in the cd.. hit enter.

Get the cute little penguin.. some colored text..

then it appears to try to start X.. tries XFree86(vesa) then XFree86(fbdev) then stops.. and gives me a root prompt because "No suitable X-server found for your card." - What can I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:31 pm 
Nice thread highjack... :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:44 pm 
ArtVandelay wrote:
The machine:
Gateway6400 dual 933MHz P3
9GB SCSI hard drive
WinTV401 dbx
Soundblaster Live

The problem:
I boot from the CD.
Choose Auto Install

Get the following
/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-auto: line 608: / 1000000: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "/ 1000000")
root@tty1[/]#

I have the same exact problem here is my specs:
dual xeon 400
512 ram
hauppauge pvr-250
nvidia w/tv out
20 gb ide
soundblaster live!

i wonder if r4 works on dual cpu's?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:03 pm 
ArtVandelay wrote:
The machine: 9GB SCSI hard drive
Get the following

That was easy to spot. The script (/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-auto) is assuming /dev/hda1 as root (IDE) and you are using SCSI.
Fix: edit the Configuration file by hand and change /dev/hda1 to /dev/sda1 or your SCSI equivelent. The configuration file is ~/.knofig while booting from the CD.

Post subject: Re: Similiar problem..
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:50 pm 
shelter108 wrote:
Except I have a DELL P3-500
RIVA TNT 2 [NV04]

I pop in the cd.. hit enter.

Get the cute little penguin.. some colored text..

then it appears to try to start X.. tries XFree86(vesa) then XFree86(fbdev) then stops.. and gives me a root prompt because "No suitable X-server found for your card." - What can I do?

Odd as I have a TnT2 and have no issues with it...At the prompt type Start. Do the install. After rebooting, GDM will probably die.. Answer no to seeing the log and no to run configuration. Log in as root and install-nvidia.sh. Did that work? If not, mkx86config and install-nvidia.sh again... Good luck,

cesman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:02 pm 
Elliott wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
Get the following

That was easy to spot. The script (/usr/local/bin/KnoppMyth-auto) is assuming /dev/hda1 as root (IDE) and you are using SCSI.
Fix: edit the Configuration file by hand and change /dev/hda1 to /dev/sda1 or your SCSI equivelent. The configuration file is ~/.knofig while booting from the CD.

Seems like that was my fix as well. My ide hard drive was /dev/hdc2 which was picked up when I decided to do the manual install.

thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:53 pm 
Site Admin
ArtVandelay wrote:
The machine:
Gateway6400 dual 933MHz P3
9GB SCSI hard drive
WinTV401 dbx
Soundblaster Live

The problem:
I boot from the CD.
Choose Auto Install

Get the following
root@tty1[/]#

This happens if /devhda1 is marked bootable. <ALT><F2>
and run fdisk /dev/hda and mark all partitions as not active.
That means no '*' for a partition. Save off the partition table.
then <ALT><F1> back to the Auto Install menu.
Quote:
Now what? I typed mythtv-setup after the # and got "cannot connect to X server"

I'm a complete Linux newbie, if you haven't already guessed that.
[/b]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:19 pm 
So the problem is that the installation can't access the hdd. Well I had the same error because my disk is at /dev/hdb instead of the /dev/hda. I couldn't figure out how to edit the config file and then restart the installation without rebooting (which means lose my config file changes!)
So...... I moved some jumpers (making the hard drive the primary master /dev/hda) and now the installation is going swimmingly. Just thought I'd spread the word about an alternative fix (assuming scsi isn't the issue)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:39 pm 
Elliott wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
Get the following

I have the same problem. My disk is not SCSI, but a Maxtor 160GB with an ATA/133 controller. This is seen as a SCSI disk in Windows, so I can understand why I would be having the same problem.

Where is the ~/.knofig file to edit? I tried doing a locate but couldn't find it--even after updating the locate database.

I also tried a manual install and managed to partition the drive (it is seen as hde1) but I am stuck in an infinite loop trying to exit the partition program.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:26 pm 
Maybe if I provided a bit more info on where I am someone could chime in and help. :)

I managed to get to the point at which I can define the partition to install Myth on. I chose to install LILO on the MBR and unfortunately, on reboot it hung.

I have narrowed the problem to the /KNOPPIX/mythconfig file still pointing to hda1, hda2 etc. My drive is being seen as /hde4 since it is on an Ultra ATA 133 controller.

I tried editing the file and couldn't because it seems like it's on the CD. I ended up copying it to the ramdisk and edited it there. That seemed to work as it was installing Myth to the drive but at the very end bailed with an error which went by too fast for me to see. Upon rebooting, I now have a bunch of 99s on the screen.

Hopefully, someone can give me that one little nugget og info I'm missing so that I can play this weekend. All help appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:59 am 
Take a look at:http://mysettopbox.tv/doc.html#manualinstall
Read the **NOTE**

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:27 am 
cesman wrote:
Take a look at:http://mysettopbox.tv/doc.html#manualinstall
Read the **NOTE**

cesman

Thanks for the response. This is essentially what I did. I tried it again almost to the letter and still after reboot I have half a screen full of 99s. It seems to be a problem with the boot loader somehow. I tried attaching the drive to my primary IDE interface integrated in to the motherboard and it didn't help with the boot problem.

One note aout the note: You may want to indicate that the file needs to be saved elsewhere, such as /. /KNOPPIX, from what I can see, it mounted as read-only since it seems to be running from the CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:56 am 
Quote:
Remove /KNOPPIX/knoppmyth and choose a name.

This will save it to RAM where it can be editted. Once editting the file is complete. Load the file....
If you are still having a problem, you boot with the CD, chroot to the drive and run lilo.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:05 am 
cesman wrote:
Quote:
Remove /KNOPPIX/knoppmyth and choose a name.

This will save it to RAM where it can be editted. Once editting the file is complete. Load the file....
If you are still having a problem, you boot with the CD, chroot to the drive and run lilo.

cesman

I did some Googling and it seems that lilo is having problems with my drive geometry. This is understandable since it is a 160GB drive on the seperate controller. This page http://groups.google.com/groups?q=LILO+%22L+99+99...%22+boot+problem+-+SOLVED!&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=qfrg6b.p9s.ln%40news.grayonline.id.au&rnum=1 lists actions to resolve it, but when I try to hdparm -g /dev/hde1 I get "permission denied reading /dev/hde1". It is owned by root and I am root so I'm not sure why that is (Linux is not my forte').

As people buy bigger drives for Myth, I can see this becoming an issue. Is this something that can be addressed in R5, perhaps?