View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:33 pm 
So the knoppmyth setup goes ok, everything is cool... It reboots and does its initialization then has some issues when it gets to starting the X server. It flashes a couple times, then says:

Code:
I cannot start the X server (your graphical interface).  It is likely that it is not setup correctly.  Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?

After saying "Yes", the log is as follows:

Code:
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.13.2-chw-3 (root@dev.mysettopbox.tv) (gvv v Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unkown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Dec 1919:19:25 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o": No symb
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a useable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found

After reading this, it seems like it has to do with my graphics controller. Perhaps a misrecognization by the installer? I can also type out the "detailed X server output" as well if it helps.

The graphics controller is onboard, and uses the nVIDIA GeForce 6100 chipset. (This is the exact mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138266)

Please help asap. I'm also available on AIM just about most of the time, so contact me there if you'd like to speak to me face to face (so to speak). aim: substr108

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:46 pm 
This chipset is not well supported by KnoppMyth yet. One of the standard perils of bleeding edge hardware. That's why the "PickingComponents" page on the wiki recommends using something that 's been proven and posted under the Tier 1 or Tier 2 Hardware recommendations.

You may get some relief by upgrading to the "8174" version of the Nvidia driver. Search for recent threads about "new nvidia driver" that mention "8174". At least one of them has simple directions for installing it.

Beyond that the it's not unusual to see this message if there aren't any valid modelines in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. See the FX5200 example on the wiki for 640x480 and 800x600 modelines that it may like better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:59 pm 
Thanks for the input, I'm trying that as I type this.

I was planning on getting a actual card in the very near future that has tv-out capabilities. Im sure choosing the right card will solve my problem. Do you have any sure-fire suggestions for cards? Im looking for something fairly inexpensive, but gets the job done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:12 pm 
If I'm not mistaken you need a PCI-e 16 card, which is not quite as far out on the bleeding edge but still not as figured out as the AGP stuff... You may want to take a look at the card that the "Dragon" reference platform uses, and which is thus known to work. Some of the other 6?00 cards have been giving people serious fits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:20 pm 
See this thread for the directions.
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7244&postorder=asc&start=13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:54 am 
i really think it would be good if this authors could include the latest nvidia drivers (8178 at this time) in the next knoppmyth release. i was under the opinion nvidia cards were a very popular choice for PVR setups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:51 am 
Site Admin
I think it would really be good if folks didn't hijack threads. I think it would really be good if folks read the MythTV release notes. Have you read the 0.19 release notes?
Quote:
It is highly recommended if you are using the Nvidia binary VGA drivers that you use version 7676 or earlier as later revisions have serious problems with features like XvMC and OpenGL sync which can result in poor performance or lockups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:20 pm 
Apologies for backchatting the Site Admin, but mythtv.org wiki states:

"As of 2006-04-7, the currently recommended driver version is: 1.0.8756 as it fixes the OpenGL Vsync issues present in earlier versions, as well as fixing the AGP + XvMC issues on 6200 series cards."

I've just switched my ABIT NF8 Fatality w/Radeon x550 and Coolermaster case for a Hiper Low profile case (looks beaaautiful) and Foxconn 6150K8 and I'm having an absolute b*****d of a time getting mythtv to work.
I've moved from tier 1 to tier 3 in one step!

will post to the hardware section when I get it working!

.matt