View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:39 pm 
I ran a Manual install and followed the instructions on the site for having SATA hard drives. Everything seemed to go just fine but when I reboot I get the error "Error loading operating system" I have looked in the forums but have not seen any posts with this error. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:48 pm 
Sounds like a BIOS error. (You're not seeing the L from lilo or anything like that right?)

Does the BIOS think that drive is bootable? You may need to run fdisk (or cfdisk, or parted, or ...) to make sure the partition is marked bootable (it's different than the BIOS thing), and run the lilo setup manually to install the boot loader. You''l have to search for instruction on how to do the last couple things using the KnoppMyth CD as a rescue disk. There should be versions of that both here and on the wiki.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:29 pm 
I found another post that talked about the command you said to run. "chroot /mnt/hdmount lilo -v"

and know I am getting a kernal panic error.

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
VFS: Cannot open root device "801" or unknown-block(8,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic - not synccing: VFS: Unable to mount rooot fs on unknown-block(8,1)

I am wondering if this is a SATA driver issue or something else any idea's

Thanks

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:34 am 
Well there is a good reason I listed SATA drives in the "Hardware to avoid" sticky posting, http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6321 try to warn people off of them in the PickingComponents page on the wiki http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=PickingComponents and generally recommend using a PATA drive as your boot device every time I open my mouth on the topic.

In case it's not obvious, that reason is because many people still have giant ugly hairy problems with them, and it's not just Linux. Over the summer a friend who was building an MS-Windows gaming machine had a miserable time getting it set up because all he had was a SATA drive and no floppy.

There's a whole set of usual things to try. Looking for a compatability or legacy mode in our BIOS, trying the "reverse" option at boot up, ... Searching the forums and the wiki for SATA should turn up more things to try than I have the time or inclination to summarize here.