512MB memory
Nvidia 4400
Hauppage PVR150 (Non MCE)
Maxtor 40GB HD (hda)
maxtor 40GB HD (hdb)
LiteOn DVDr

Software:
KnoppMyth R5a26

I choose the auto installer and answered all of the questions it asked of me. there seemed to be no issues except every once in a while it would pop up on screen with an error about CLE266 VGA device not found, can't remember exactly. Anyways the system proceeds to install tells me to remove the cd and hit enter. Upon reboot the computer posts, memory test, and does its devioce listings. After the PCI listings it usually tries to go through the boot process, my pc hangs. If i boot of a normal Knoppix cd it works fine (the pc that is) and windows worked fine when i had that installed on it. Any deas or clues?

the monitor is pluged into the video card not the onboard video card. And thats about all the info I can give you . It just sits with _ on the screen and thats all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:04 pm 
There's a whole battery of "the usual things" to check if the error is occuring when the BIOS tries to run the bootloader.
    - First make sure you've got your BIOS set for the most verbose diagnostics possible. It sounds like you're already pretty close if not all the way there.

- Check how/where your BIOS sees the drives. You should be installing to and booting off of your primary master IDE drive.

- Make sure that the BIOS or the disk doesn't have some kind of "boot sector virus protection" enabled which might prevent lilo from writing the boot loader into the MBR.

- Check how you HDs are jumpered. Sometimes MA/SL is the trick other times CS is needed.

- Pull out the extra video card and try booting with just the MoBo video

- Unplug all the IDE devices (no SATA right?) except the primary master, which should be your boot device, and see if that makes a difference

- Make sure the first partition is marked as bootable by fdisk. (you'll need to boot from the CD and use it in rescue mode to do this)

- Make sure that lilo is really getting installed.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Don't forget to check the troubleshooting pages on the wiki. There is a fair amount of poking around you can do if you boot fromthe CD and escape to a command prompt, and you should find directions on doing that there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:34 pm 
Hi
I had a similiar setup with 2 hard drives and I kept hanging after the install (with a couple of similiar error messages). The install seemed to go OK but on reboot the system never found the OS and just sat there. I could boot from Knoppix, I first suspected the HD since it was brand new out of the box so I tried installing Unbunto (sp?) but that that worked OK.

What I finally tried that worked was I reconfigured the system back to a basic system, 1 HD on IDE0 and the optical drive on IDE1. After the install the system rebooted without any problems, I went through the initial configuratiuon setup and Voila!! I was up and running. I added one hard drive back into the mix after the initial setup and it seems to work now without a problem.

The only thing I have had to do other than the initial messing with hard drives was fine tuning the channels using Mythweb to get a couple of channels to work. (found that tidbit searching the forum). I had a few channels where I had video but no audio.

Many Kudos to the folks who put to gether the KnoppMyth it is an easy way to get Myth up and working, especially using the Hauppauge Tunres.

Kevin
'