View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:19 am 
I am having troubles with my knoppmyth installation:

I am noticing read errors on the installation CD as the autoinstaller performs its magic.

I tried burning the cd twice from two different downloads and I have tried two different CDrom readers during install. Both had CD read errors at the same place.

I'll try "testcd" to verify the burn and even try burning an older release (as suggested by another post) but I must add that knoppix did finish its install.

I was heartened that everything seemed fine as text zoomed by but I did notice an "unable to resolve host" when it was trying to get something from nvida. I know the ethernet is working because my router did detect a knoppix box on the lan.

Anyhow....

The GDM starts and the Xwindows is displayed BUT very faint. Not corrupted, just faint.

I pressed cnt-alt-F1 as well as F2 to start a console to edit the video timings but the consoles are also far too dim to see. I can barely make them out with the lights off and my face soaking radiation as I plant my eyeball on the monitor. I'm sure my monitor is being abused by some bad freq. (not to mention my new tumor I have due to my proximity to the monitor! :) )

How can I get visible text back? I tried resetting the console to clean it up but the result is the same.

I typed in the command to reinstall the NVIDA drivers and it runs and restarts the gdm but the result is the same with the very faint screen.

Unless I previously mentioned it, everything is fine until xwindows starts.

Tonight I am going to try to reinstall and kill the window manager with the kill -9 "PID process #" and hope that I will get a regular text only low res display.

If I can see what I'm typing, perhaps I can try to edit the timings in the config files to the lowest refresh rate (as suggested in one post).

If this does not work, is there a way to remotely log into the box via ethernet? I tried telnetting to the ip address to no avail.

Sorry for my absolute lack of linux knowledge. I'm trying all types of searches and text help and I'm slowly crash course learning commands.

Thank you for any help you can share.

Ripley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:53 pm 
yes you can get to the box using ssh. if you are on a windows box download putty for ssh.

To stop the gui do /etc/init.d/gdm stop (as root of course)

you can try changing the vga=??? to vga=normal in the /etc/lilo.conf file and running lilo -v

also what video card do you have?

some errors are normal during install. many of them are simply checks from some of the scripts.

I take it from your description that you are using a monitor and not a tv. you may want to look up the horz and vert refresh rates for your monitor and specify them in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 sometimes the autodetection doesn't work properly. Along the same lines you could look at the nvidia readme file and see what the option is to turn of the DCC or EDID detection. This is generally not a problem, but is not out of the realm of possibility.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:05 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
yes you can get to the box using ssh. if you are on a windows box download putty for ssh.

Unfortunately I got the same "connection refused" I tried several ports and connection types. Perhaps the server on the myth box just was not running yet.
Quote:
To stop the gui do /etc/init.d/gdm stop (as root of course)

Nope, this did not work. I tried "gdm stop", "gdm-stop" and other varients. Got a GDM already running or "not found". Is there another method?

Quote:

also what video card do you have?
It's an Nvida 6200 from Gigabyte.

Quote:
some errors are normal during install. many of them are simply checks from some of the scripts.
I thought as much as it would finish and function with only the video messed up. Oddly enough, in my mad attempt to see if it was a knoppix problem, I downloaded the CD ISO for the Knoppix 4 live CD and it worked perfectly. In fact it the whole linux OS running in ram and off CD just blew me away. I must say that at times I was saying, why the heck do I even need a hard drive for?" Oh... I remember... the PVR Video files.
Quote:
I take it from your description that you are using a monitor and not a tv. you may want to look up the horz and vert refresh rates for your monitor and specify them in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 sometimes the autodetection doesn't work properly. Along the same lines you could look at the nvidia readme file and see what the option is to turn of the DCC or EDID detection. This is generally not a problem, but is not out of the realm of possibility.

I would, but I have not figured out how to edit these files remotely or be able to revert to a low level vesa display.

I'm trying to use the loaded Knoppix 4 live to migrate to the HD but I've read where that this is less than optimal. Perhaps a Debian install? Unless I figure out how to lick this display problem, I'll have to try another method and therefore no longer be able to post my woes here as this forum is for knoppmyth.

I do wish to thank you for your input. It sent me investigating and learning.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am 
were you root when you ran the /etc/init.d/gdm stop command? if so and it did not work it's 99.9% sure you have a bad burn, because that command should always work to stop the X server.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:15 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
were you root when you ran the /etc/init.d/gdm stop command? if so and it did not work it's 99.9% sure you have a bad burn, because that command should always work to stop the X server.

Yes, I had logged in as root.

I burned the iso several times on different disks & tried the iso downloaded from more than one source.

I guess I could try yet another ISO...
Perhaps an earlier version?

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:47 pm 
Did you try booting the CD with the testcd option to verify it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:25 pm 
tjc wrote:
Did you try booting the CD with the testcd option to verify it?

Yes. The burn is fine.

Install is fine.

I even get a fancy bootsplash with a progress bar and it looks fine.

As soon as Mythtv starts with the GDM, the screen is DIM.

Since my video card has TV out, could it be switching to that output? I'm grasping at straws here.

It's difficult for me to see the screen while working on that box.

Which drop down menu items in the gdm should I select to effectively change the video drivers. Remember, that because of the difficult to see screen, many of the dialog boxes are next to impossible to read unless I turn the monitor brightness all the way up and strain my eyes.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:28 pm 
Issue after installing don't belong in KnoppMyth -> Installation. Please limit threads to one issue per. If you need help with what issue you are having, please post under the appropriate section of the forum.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:20 am 
cesman wrote:
Issue after installing don't belong in KnoppMyth -> Installation. Please limit threads to one issue per. If you need help with what issue you are having, please post under the appropriate section of the forum.

I would consider this an installation issue since the installation never "finished."
Fortunately I was able to blindly (litteraly) poke enough through the finishing of the installation which allowed me to log in from another PC.

With a viewable terminal I was able to process the instructions in http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7244 with SUCCESS.

Thank you for your suggestions.