View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:57 pm 
I am in the process of building an HTPC, and want to test my video and sound card comptability quickly with KnoppMyth. I downloaded the distro, and it seems to start up nicely; however, my keyboard does not seem to function (eg, the first menu I get to, I am unable to navigate with either arrow keys or otherwise). I am using a USB wireless keyboard from Logictech, can it be that no driver is loaded for this?

When booting, I get the following error messages:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
Not Available because of resource collisions.

ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0 -0x1F7 not free
ide0: Ports already in use, skipping probe

... and then the Knoppmyth menu comes up, which I cannot navigate, as the keyboard doesn't work!

Any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:13 pm 
You should probably be able to get the usb keyboard to work once you have completed the install (some have reported success doing this). Do you have a ps2 keyboard you can use in the mean time to do your install? Did the keyboard come with a usb to ps2 dongle? This is a well publicised problem with knoppmyth and usb keyboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:15 pm 
When you say 'seems to start up nicely', do you mean the installer boots or do you already have it installed?

If you're having trouble with the first menu from the knoppmyth installer, simply unplug your keyboard then plug it back in. Knoppmyth should see the usb keyboard, create a device for it and let you use it right away. Post-install you shouldn't have any more problems with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:52 pm 
I am having the same problem. I am trying to install knoppmyth to a Qmedia Entertainment PC, but when the install menu comes up, I cannot use my wriless USB keyboard to select any of the options. However, I can use the keyboard at the boot splash screen to select tv resolution. The Qmedia does not have a PS2 keyboard port, so using another keyboard is not an option for me. I have tried unplugging and reinserting the USB connector, but this just turns the keyboard off (the wireless keyboard adapter has a blinking light on top that flickers when the keyboard is used - if I unplug the adapter and reconnect, the light stops working altogether).

Is there anything I might do at the boot splash screen to fix this problem? I really don't want to spend $150 dollars to buy a new copy of Win XP Media Center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:33 am 
If you're hoping to use a particular set of software, it's generally a good idea to determine if the hardware you're buying is compatible before ordering it... This is called doing research and planning, and it's a good first step for any project. We've got a large number of postings both here and on the wiki about known hardware issues, so that hopefully you'll discover them in your research and be able to plan your purchases accordingly. :idea:

Here are a few examples. This one is a sticky post that has been the second thread listed under the hardware forum for several months now:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6321
These are from the Wiki on the topics of keyboards and selecting hardware and have been around even longer:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WirelessKeyboards
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=PickingComponents
Please notice the repeated begging and pleading to Please, PLEASE, PLEASE avoid USB keyboards and mice.

If you detect a slight edge to my comments it's because I'm terribly frustrated by peoples inability to find these clues despite doing everything short of painting them puple and having them dance naked on a harpischord singing "cunning plans are here again". Sigh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:49 am 
I may be possible to get the keyboard working in the installation meny. Try removing the USB keyboard during boot and insert it when the installation meny is presented. I dont remember the exact timing on this. But mixing with removing the keyboard a few times got it working. I've done this a few times to be able to install on a modern computer without a PS/2 port.
After installation the USB keyboard worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:32 am 
With my usb keyboard all you have to do is leave it in until the menu, then remove it for 5 secs and plug it back in again.