View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:35 pm 
I'm attempting to complete the installation of KnoppMyth R5A26. I've followed the installation instructions step by step until I get to xvmc.

After successfully running ./install-nvidia-7174-debian.sh, it tells me to run ./install-i686-lx to turn on xvmc and lirc support. However, when I run this script, I get the error that the directory "/usr/src/mythtv/xvmc" does not exist, and the installation fails.

(I realize that this is specific to nvidia cards, and as such may need to be in the hardware forum. However, I thought since it's the installation instructions (or software) that seem to be at issue, I should post it here.)

(I get the same error if I use the modified 8174 driver as mentioned in another post.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:55 pm 
I guess you missed the part during the installation that states LIRC and XvMC are now built in....

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:00 pm 
I did miss that. I just re-read the docs, I'm not sure where I missed it, though. I found a forum post that suggests that xvmc support is already there if you run the ~debian.sh script.

However, the "installation" page at knoppmythwiki.org still tells you to run the install-nvidia-xxx-debian.sh script, followed by the install-ix66-lx scripts.

Am I following the wrong docs? The wiki is intended to be the documentation, right? (BTW, the wiki appears to be broken right now. It takes me right into edit mode when I go to the page, and many of the pages that I can see are now in another language.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:19 pm 
While the wiki is awesome (many many thanks for Xsecrets for putting it up and for those that contribute), the official docs are the docs that I write. Some folks don't seem to understand my style of writing so other docs have popped up at various sites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:33 pm 
Ahah! Now it's all making sense!

I'm still confused, though. Sorry for being dense. I look at this line in your docs:
Quote:
At this point, select which package you'd like to install i586 (Pentium class processors, K6, C3, etc.) or I686 (PentiumPro class processors, PentiumPro and above, Athlon and Duron). The default is i586 which is compiled w/ LIRC. If you have an i686 class processor, select i686 then LIRC. If you have an nVidia based video adapter which supports XvMC don't select XvMC at this time. KnoppMyth will install the appropriate packages and start mythtv-setup.

I've got an Athlon 64, so I've been selecting 686. I'm not sure what to make of the "don't select xvmc" at this time" comment, as I don't see that as an option anywhere along the way. Based on your posts in this thread, though, it appears that xvmc is being installed. Would this still be the case even if I installed the later version of nvidia driver after the install is done (using the "copy the 7174 script to 8174 and edit it" method, of course.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:49 pm 
Ignore it. I've answered you query. Sorry, I don't like try to re-explain things over and over again. I try to use simple language that all can understand. I'm not trying to pick on you or say you are stupid. I know this can be confusing and complicated, I just don't like repeating myself.