View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Hangs on Initial CD Boot
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:37 pm 
I am trying to boot the CD on a Compaq 5690 and it hangs on "Network device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP." It never times out it just hangs. Is there anything I can do to get around this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:54 pm 
Don't use DHCP? Seriously, if one of the things on your wish list is to access the new box from other machines, a static IP is going to make your life much easier. If you're using one of the little four port appliance switch/routers it's pretty easy to pick a NATed private address which won't get assigned via DHCP.

The base cause is probably a NIC which isn't autodetected properly or not supported out of the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:56 pm 
This is the CD Booting. How can I tell it not to use DHCP? I can't even get to the CD Menu because of it hanging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:08 pm 
Are you at least getting to the very, very first screen where you enter boot options? If so try booting with "expert" which will give you more control over the process.

Do you have a network cable hooked up for the system yet?

Another (ugly) possibility is to pull the NIC or if it's onboard disable it in the BIOS, tbefore booting from the CD. This will mean running netcardconfig by hand later.

A search of the forum should turn up more suggestions since this has definitely come up before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:27 pm 
Thanks tjc

I tryed the expert mode but it did the same thing. So I disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS and that did the trick. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:39 pm 
Quote:
Don't use DHCP? Seriously, if one of the things on your wish list is to access the new box from other machines, a static IP is going to make your life much easier. If you're using one of the little four port appliance switch/routers it's pretty easy to pick a NATed private address which won't get assigned via DHCP.

Tjc, Not really making sense to me here. I use the DHCP service in my router. The client gets its IP through DHCP. The router just has that address statically mapped to that MAC, so it gets the same IP everytime. Now it is all managed from one place instead of on each client. And of course I can get to any client setup like this. So I would not recommend abaondoning DHCP. Just using it in a more static fashion.
:D

HD3000
2 160GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.7s
MSI Nx6200ax-td128 video card
Cooler Master Cavalier 2 - 350W PS
BenQ DW1640

Thanks,

Chris Lopeman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:47 pm 
lopemanc that's fine, but many home routers do not have that option, for instance I know linksys is notorious for not being able to static map dhcp.

Xsecrets