View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Odd Display problems.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:57 pm 
alright this is getting more and more odd.

First my a26 was working fine on my via epia board.. No display problems and so on.

Suddenly it begun to do the "black screen thing" after i did a reinstall.

So i began to think it mabye the cd was going bad..

So i downloaded the new 30.1 version, did a check on the md5 checksum, and it was ok, so i burned it on the slowest speed.. (8x), and did a new install. again same "black screen" when it starts gdm, only way to get display to work under x, is to make a new config file with X -configure, but then i start to get all kinds of odd behavier, myth chrashed and so on.

First this was only a problem on the mashine i was thinking to use as a backend. now its also on my via epia board, wich normaly always worked fine with knoppmyth. This is getting realy fustrated, i already tryed to burn it on another media, with out it did any change, what so ever.

Does any have any ideas on what to try now?
I am so close at just giving up on my tv system, tryed everything i could think off!

What i have tryed when the problem first apered on a p4 comp:
tryed 3 diffrent gfx cards (Nvidia Geforce2mx, Nvidia Geforce FX 5200, and a pci matrox card) all giving the same black screen, when entering X (gdm starts), i ofcource did a reinstall each time also when i changed the gfx card.

The only way i could get display, was by running the X configure command, and use that config file, but then i would get all sorts of other problems, myth crashes and so on.

also tryed to burn a new cd, from the image where the md5 checksum was ok. on a new media and on slowest burning speed, same problem again.

i then tryed to reinstall a26 as i gave up and just wanted to get my box up and running, and would forget about a backend then. suddenly my via epia has the same error as the p4, where it before worked. Tryed both version of my cd´s with a26 on. Same error, again i can get it to run if i use the x configure command, again myth crashed and all sort of odd things going on...

i then downloaded a30 and did a md5 cheksum, wich was ok. so i did a slow burn.. 8x (cant go lower) so i did a install.. same problem again black screen. tryed 2 diffrent media types.. same errors.

last thing i tryed was to replace all ide cables on my via epia board, and install a30 again.. same error. also tryed to change the dvd drive, same error again. tryed a new harddrive, again same error.

What log´s should i try to post?

curently i am burning a new a30 again, on my laptop cd burner, i realy dont know what else to try.

THis is getting realy odd and anoyting.. jsut cant make any sence out of this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:50 pm 
Could you be more specfic as to what the actual error is? The screen goes blank durring the install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:55 pm 
when it boots, i can see the boot sequence going fine, until the moment where it launches gdm/x and it just stats blank.

i can ctrl + alt + f1 and login and make a new config file, and then get the display to work at boot, but then i just start to get all sort of odd behaviour. more clear now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:27 pm 
I found that mine would go black if I used this option:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV" # This is only if attaching to a TV.**

I AM going to a TV, but it's on my DVI connection, so in this case, I guess it's not applicable. I was just playing with things, trying to get the nVidia GUI tools to give me overscan settings. I guess that only works with S-Video out.
Anyway, this may or may not be applicable/helpful here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 pm 
thornsoft wrote:
I found that mine would go black if I used this option:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV" # This is only if attaching to a TV.**

I AM going to a TV, but it's on my DVI connection, so in this case, I guess it's not applicable. I was just playing with things, trying to get the nVidia GUI tools to give me overscan settings. I guess that only works with S-Video out.
Anyway, this may or may not be applicable/helpful here.

its a fresh install i havent even done anything to my XF86Config-4 file yet.

have tryed several nvidia specif conf files, all problem remains the same.

also on my via epia board normaly i got display with the default XF86Config file, just inverted, but display. Not it just stats black in x.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:57 pm 
Update:

The burned cd from my latop at 4x speed gave the same problems.

began to think it could be my monitor, so i borow one from a friend. Still same problem there.

How ever, i some way (dont know how) got it to display on tv, althought monitor is still dead :( how ever the picture on the tv is flashning from color to none color every 2 second.

i used this XF86Config-4
http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=XF86ConfigForFX5200HowTo

SYS curently is:
Pentium 4 2,6Ghz with HT
Mother Board is a MSI one, with a 865PE Intel Chipsæt
using onboard lan
gfx curently is a Geforce Fx 5200.

also tryed:
Matrox Pci
Geforce 2 Mx agp
some unknown CirCus Logic Pci card

each time i did a reinstall, just to be sure
each time same problem. Black Screen, when GDM starts. I see the boot sequence fine, and it just goes black when it launches GDM, and the monitor go into standby i think.

any suggestions for things to try, is verry mouch welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:46 pm 
At the very least you're going to need to change the TV output format from NTSC to PAL and the VertRefresh rate to be 50 rather than 60 from that sample if you're using it with a PAL TV... Maybe it's time to reach out and get a PAL example that works with a FX5200... Anybody got one handy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:05 am 
tjc wrote:
At the very least you're going to need to change the TV output format from NTSC to PAL and the VertRefresh rate to be 50 rather than 60 from that sample if you're using it with a PAL TV... Maybe it's time to reach out and get a PAL example that works with a FX5200... Anybody got one handy?

alright tnx.. but that shouldent affect why the monitor isent working ?
that still strikes me as a little odd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:44 pm 
alright changed it to PAL-G, and 50 en Vrefresh. This resulted in X couldent start.. Besides, still this dosent matter.. Its on my monitor i cant get a picture. If i install Knopmyth on my via epia board, normaly that would work, but it dosent eitehr for some odd reason.

got display working on my tv, only problem there is it flashes between black and white and color tv each 2 sec

/edit

got the color to be normal by setting Vertex refresh back to 60 and keeping my PAL-G section..

how ever still no display on my monitor, also tryed 2 other monitors today, same result :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:54 pm 
Hi madsholme,

I am a little un-clear about where it goes to black... is it after you have gone through the install process and it is coming back up on the reboot? Was it an upgrade or install?

Sorry for not fully grasping the "big" picture, but I would assume no matter what country you are in, it should be live on the monitor. Tv is a different ball game.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:12 pm 
Its after a install, and it boots.. I can see something on the screen on the boot progress, all the way where it launches X. When x starts it just goés black. I tryed several diffrent XF86Config files, both for 5200cards speficic, and all of them that deliveded with KnopMyth.

If i press CTRL+ALt+f1 i can get a konsole, so it isent crashed, also tvout on a tv is working fine.

hope that clears it up :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:43 pm 
Hi madsholme,

Ok, and thanks. Just wanted get on some common ground. I also have a FX5200 agp which has dvi. There are some strange things that seem to happen when both tv and monitor are connected. I would have various kinds of flashing on the tv and finally it would go to sleep. (dvi)

However the monitor would be fine. I did not have the tv connected during the install / upgrade and all went normal. After all was setup and working, I connected the monitor and it didn't work.. and I poked a lot of sharp sticks at it too. Then one day, I powered it up without the monitor on it and there was tv out. Still needed some help but it was there.

Maybe this offers a different perspective, disconnect all stuff except the monitor and see what happens.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:05 pm 
mjl wrote:
Hi madsholme,

Ok, and thanks. Just wanted get on some common ground. I also have a FX5200 agp which has dvi. There are some strange things that seem to happen when both tv and monitor are connected. I would have various kinds of flashing on the tv and finally it would go to sleep. (dvi)

However the monitor would be fine. I did not have the tv connected during the install / upgrade and all went normal. After all was setup and working, I connected the monitor and it didn't work.. and I poked a lot of sharp sticks at it too. Then one day, I powered it up without the monitor on it and there was tv out. Still needed some help but it was there.

Maybe this offers a different perspective, disconnect all stuff except the monitor and see what happens.

Mike

Tnx for that, how ever tryed it. I tryed to install with only monitor plugin, and so on. no diffrence :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:12 pm 
Hi,
agp or pci card?
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:19 pm 
mjl wrote:
Hi,
agp or pci card?
Mike

curently its a AGP, tryed with both agp and pci cards...

Go to page 1, 2  Next