View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:04 am 
This one has got me baffled.

I have had 30.1 running lovely on a Dell box for a few days now. I needed to install Ubuntu on the machine, so on went Breezy. I am now looking to reinstall knoppmyth.

When I get the install splashscreen, pressing enter works - because it then loads the installation menu. I have read all the loading information, and it looks like the USB devices all load fine. Then on the installation screen the keyboard doesnt work.

If I remove the knoppmyth disc and reboot the machine, then the keyboard is fine again in Ubuntu. Wierd.

I have tried 30.1 and 30.2. I have tried putting the keyboard into a different USB slot, (I have six in total) and nothing seems to work.

I am baffled by this. Any ideas?

cheers
john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:42 pm 
when you get to the menu and the keyboard stops working, try unplugging it then plugging it back into the same usb port. Many ppl have the same problem and it seems to fix most of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:38 pm 
I have very good sucess in using my USB keyboard with knoppmyth. When installing wait until you get to the menu and unplug it for five seconds. Then plug it back in and the cd-rom should spin up for two seconds or so. That cd-rom spinning is knoppmyth loading the driver for the keyboard. After that it works great.

But other people have had bad luck getting USB keyboards to work. Mine is an apple keyboard that came with a G5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:23 pm 
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6321

While I'm at it. Never take a short cut across a pasture with a bull in it. Always treat a gun like it's loaded, always check the safety, and never point it anything you wouldn't want to shoot. Always disable power equipment (uplug electric powered stuff or disconnect the spark plug for gas powered stuff) before putting any part of your body in the way of the workings. If you don't know if something is in a "safe" or "dangerous" state, assume dangerous. ... Seriously, we don't tell you this stuff to s**t on your bonfire, we tell you this stuff to make your life easier. (OK, and so we don't have to hear you gripe about why nobody told you, "Socrates, hemlock is poison." Call it enlightend self interest. ;-))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:18 pm 
Thanks guys - I appreciate the replies.

tjc - point taken. thanks, and sorry. For some reason I find this forum really hard to search for problems and solutions. I guess I am just more used to vbulletin.

Post subject: Belkin
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:10 pm 
My USB keyboard works just fine, no problems booting up, no problems hotplugging, I can even have it plugged in at the same time as a PS2 keyboard and use them both at the same time :twisted: (If I could only learn to type with my toes, let alone my hands, imagine how much time I could save....)

I have not tried doing an install with the USB kbd plugged in though. The brand is Belkin and the model is F8E206-USB (F8E206-BLK-USB for the black model) - it's a real cheapie, by the way.

Caveat though is that just because this model works AOK for me doesn't necessarily mean you will have the same success with a different motherboard! (Intriguingly, when I checked my BIOS settings, USB Keyboard Support was disabled - since everything was working ticketty-boo I didn't bother to try enabling it. Go figure.)