View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Status of SATA support?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:53 pm 
Hi all,

I have 5A30.2 and the SATA howto. My question is about the next version of knoppmyth (i.e. with 0.19). Will SATA be supported directly by this release? If not, would it be possible for me to hack the install CD (replace hd by sd I guess) so as to get a version that supports SATA properly (but not PATA). Alternatively, would it be an easy thing for me to work proper support for?

I guess what I'm saying is this: should I sit back and twiddle my thumbs? Or, would it be a good first project, or should I just accept the status quo for a while yet :-)

Thanks

Corrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:55 pm 
Still not recommended, and what you're talking about is definitely not a newbie project. If you doubt this, search for SATA in the forums and you see many, many tales of misery and pain.

To use a SATA drive you either need to do a manual install or be able to run the drive in PATA compatibility mode through your BIOS. Even then there are some gotchas that may bite you. I don't know how much that's going to change with the next release, but don't hold your breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:26 pm 
SATA support is there. Just you have to perform a manual install like tjc said. I use a SATA drive with no problems. If you don't know linux then you should at least set up knoppmyth with PATA first to learn before you try SATA. It all depends on how much you know and how much time you want to spend debugging your box. And don't expect too much sympathy if you ask for help here. You have already been told to use a PATA drive if you don't know what you are doing.