View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:16 pm 
I know this problem has been brought up here countless times. However none of these suggestions seem to work with my computer. After I do an auto install or a manual install does not matter which one, the computer hangs after reboot. I'm at a complete loss. I've gotten Slackware to install just fine, and Debian but I just cannot get KnoppMyth to install properly. I've checked the bios, checked jumpers, unplugged hardware/peripherials...etc. Also have downloaded and burned a copy of KnoppMyth from every mirror listed on the website, I've checked the CD, just getting plain frustrated. I've worked on this for going on 5 hours now non stop, I'm starting to get a little hungry. Before I forget just curious, my boss gave me a Aims Video Highway Xtreme TV Tuner card. Anyone know anything about these and how well they work with MythTV? I've done some research but it hasn't turned out much. I know this part of my post doesn't really belong here but just thought I'd ask. Best wishes to anyone who may read this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:27 am 
Maybe if you discribed how it is hanging it would help. Is it the "L9 99 99 99 99" LILO fail? Or somthing else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:35 am 
sorry for the lack of info...I just the get the little blinking cursor at the top left corner of my screen. There my computer just sits, sit, sit, sit, and I do not like it, not one little bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:59 am 
To bad you don't have any more information...

Are you able to discribe what has happend before the screen shows a blinking cursor in the top-left corner.

The TV-Card has a Chipset BT848 and that's a supported one...

40 Gig HD
PVR-350
Optrex Display 160*128 T6963c

VMWare 4.5.1
KnoppMyth R5A30.2 upgraded to MythTV 0.19
IDE "virtual drive"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:07 am 
Before the cursor....automatic install of knoppmyth, it says installation successfull then reboots just fine, the installation and all that process goes great, just after it reboots it goes to the infamous cursor and sits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:58 pm 
DETAILS!!! (Oh and the wiki is back up, visit the troubleshooting pages.) Otherwise we're just playing "Doctor it hurts."

Is it the BIOS failing to find a bootable image? (If you haven't already turned the BIOS boot diagnostics to maximum info you should.)

Is it going through the Linux boot process (lots of messages scrolling along) then going to a blank screen? (A problem with your X configration)

Is this the reboot from the CD to boot from the HD for the first time, or the second reboot after the window prompting for the root password on the desktop?

Did you enable bootsplash? If so, try reinstalling without that. More people frell themselves up or miss important diagnostic information because they don't turn off the eye candy when trying to troubleshoot a problem than I'll ever understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:25 pm 
I think you have the boot priorities set wrong in your BIOS setup or your partition isn't marked bootable.

After POST (power on self test) the BIOS looks at the list of boot devices and tries to find one it can use to boot from. Back in the day when there were no bootable devices found it would report "No ROM basic system halted" (the original PC had a BASIC programing enviroment in ROM that it would default to if no bootable device was found). But lately BIOS programers have removed the error message because the BASIC ROM chip has been removed for about twenty years. Unfortuently they never put a new error message in it's place. That is why you get a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

Things to check:
1) Enter the BIOS setup program (usally by pressing the 'delete' key durring POST) and ensure that your harddrive is selected in the boot device selection area.
2) Boot off the knoppmyth CD and press <ctrl><alt><f2> to reach a terminal. Run fdisk on your harddrive and ensure that the root partition is marked bootable.

If you did an autoinstall the partition should deffently be marked bootable but double check anyway.