View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Copy Files Error
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:22 pm 
Hello, I am new to linux, but not to computers. My computers stats are below. I Started the CD(latest version downloaded 2 days ago), and it booted up fine, I could not get it to boot without the failsafe option, and when i finally get to the install menu, with default install settings, it hangs up during install at different intervals. I looked on the forum, and saw that this could be an error with ram, or just incompatibility. Furter down i noticed a slow install issue, i have not tried leaving it alone for a long time yet, but several hours didnt provide any change at all, so I am not sure what to think about it.

I checked the ram with memtest in this computer and another, and it checks out, i also tried using only one 128mb stick, and no change. Any help or tips would be good. I read that ATi is a pain to get running, but i would really like to use the all in wonder features. Any help as far as this is concerned would be very helpfull.

If i am missing any info, just ask and i will add it asap

My stats are:
HP Pavilion 8590c
600 mhz Intel PIII
128mb SRam
128mb ATI all in wonder 8500
DVD reader/CD burner combo drive
20 gb maxtor HD
300 gb maxtor HD

Last edited by SciManAl on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:50 pm 
I used to get this (with different hardware though) and the fix for me was to select "tv vga=normal" at the first prompt. I havent had a problem with the recent releases though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:49 pm 
I tried this setting 3 different times, and it locked up at 3 different points.

I am not sure exactly whats going on.
Windows XP runs well on the machine, and so I am asuming mayby there is just a certain configuration issue I am doing wrong.

Any tips as far as which boot codes i should try would be nice, i am playing around myself, but failsafe, and tv vga=normal have done nothing to help me so far

thank you in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:58 pm 
Do you have serial ata drive(s)? I'm not familiar with your HP model. My trials and tribulations are documented here. I found that the option pnpbios=off and noacpi acpi=off were the magic options for me. So, at the cd's boot: I type
Code:
knoppmyth pnpbios=off noacpi acpi=off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:39 am 
The drives are not serial, its a an old IDE interface, I will give your suggestions a try though, thanks

BTW, i am installing onto the 20gb, so for now i just tried removing the bigger drive incase here was some hardware issue there.

First cable
My ide is 20gb on master
second cable
dvd reader/cd writer combo on master

i also notice a the very beggining, not sure if this means much of anything, but nothing else seems to be showing any kind of errors

"PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 0000:00:07.1"

and one last question is how long should this installion be expected to take?
I just wish to know in case so i can get more trials into a shorter period of time.

thanks soo much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:38 am 
Say 10-20 minutes total. If the copy from the CD is taking longer than ~10 minutes you should immediately suspect a bad burn or a drive/media incompatability. Searching for "bad burn" should turn up the normal diagnostic actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:14 pm 
thank you all for the help, I am having a friend come over who knows allot more about linux than me. Hopefully some conclusions will be made, On the note of media, i am ruling out bad media or drives, because i got the OS to boot and install successfully with little problem on a newer computer of mine, the media is good, and the cd drive is now the same in the old computer as i used in the new one. I am still having freeze issues, so i am assuming my hardware is at fault.

again thank you very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:28 pm 
Hi SciManAl,

Since it seems to be a corner for suggestions, the ATI has given me gas in the past. A 600mhz may take ~30 min for the full install cycle. I didn't see any thing about a network card, and that can cause things to "hang" during discoveries. I don't know what happens when and where but it is a idea. If you have a second box, do the install using that machine, then switch the drive back to your HP when it goes down for a reboot. Been there, done it.. :)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:10 pm 
Hey, My friend told me most f my issues were caused by my VIA chiptset (didnt realize it had one). but i have not had much progress, i tried removing all the extra PCI cards, and still no luck with that test.

I am intrigued at the idea of install on one machine and then trasnfer the haddrive to another one.

do the machines need to be similar? i did get it to install with a newer one just fine, but i dont want it on that one.

i will try the hard drive switching thing, any tips on specifics about that are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:22 pm 
Hi SciManAl,

My e-machine has Via chip set, not a hint of issue and I doubt that would be your no install problem as it had something to do with dma.

Anyway, the first part of the install cycle just does the partitioning, formating and the copies "stuff" over to hda1 (you are primary & master) setting up boot loader. On the reboot is when it seems to get down to building for the machine it is on. Actually, I have moved a running hda1 to a different machine with no issues except audio (alsaconf) & network (netcardconfig). I moved my nvidia card along also.

This is one of the great things about KnoppMyth, very forgiving and seems to sort of work with you. The reason I did the move hd trick was I couldn't boot from a cd... guess that 90's machine was just to new :)

Mike