View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Hard drive read only?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:11 pm 
I'm trying to manually install KnoppmythTV on an older machine that I think will still run this just fine, the problem is that when I go to partition the drives, it get to the select a drive area and then when I click one, it comes up with this little message at the bottom saying that the hard drive is read only and I don't have permissions to write to it. I've installed various other linux distros on it and partitioned things myself so I know that it is possible to use these hard drives. I really want this to be a dedicated myth tv box, but I could set up myth tv through fedora if I need to. Please help me and I'll happilly answer any questions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:18 pm 
You can use an other linux version to partition the drive. Then boot from the knoppmyth CD and format and install onto your already made partitions.

Or when you boot from the knoppmyth CD press <ctrl>alt><f2> to access a terminal console and try manually running 'fdisk /dev/hda' maybe you can get more info about your fail that way.

Your motherboard BIOS setup might be set to write protect the boot sector of your harddrive. But that shouldn't prevent you from making partitions. It would stop you from installing LILO though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:31 am 
I always use sysresccd for partitioning, it has qtparted that allows easy partitioning (partitionmagic style).

I use this bootcd for backing up my system partitions too (to a networked pc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:43 pm 
I've tried partitioning with other programs and that works fine, now it is giving me an error saying that it cannot find the disk size.

***edit***
das tut mir leid
"it" happens when I try to install

Last edited by shague on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:12 pm 
shague wrote:
now it is giving me an error

It is giving you an error? I wish I knew what it was. Is it when you boot off the cd? Or when you start the instliation? Half way through the install process? Or after it reboots? Where do you see it?

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:06 am 
it does the same to me...

When I select wich hard-drive to use, the little message appears to the bottom :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:08 pm 
All sarcasm aside, I think Ryan was suggesting that providing more details might give folks a fighting chance to help you. Otherwise as tjc says, you're just playing "Doctor it hurts".

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ctor+hurts
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ctor+hurts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:04 pm 
When I try to do a manual installation and choose which hard-drive to use, the installing system just says, that the drive I chose is a read only drive!!

So it happends early in the installing process...

I did get the job done though...
I have two hard-drives... The one I wanted to install to was hdb. I plugged the other drive (hda) away!
Now the one wanted to install to turned into hda and the installation went well with auto installation ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:03 pm 
Ok, I know exactly what you are having problems with. There needs to be an "X" next to the drive you want to partition. I think that you highlight the drive and then select it by using the spacebar. But I do remember that there needs to be an "X" next to the drive you want to partition.

Puuha wrote:
When I try to do a manual installation and choose which hard-drive to use, the installing system just says, that the drive I chose is a read only drive!!

So it happends early in the installing process...

I did get the job done though...
I have two hard-drives... The one I wanted to install to was hdb. I plugged the other drive (hda) away!
Now the one wanted to install to turned into hda and the installation went well with auto installation ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:00 pm 
Is your hard drive the master on the primary IDE channel?