View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:44 pm 
Question: When auto installing R5B7 (also R5A30.2) to a pata drive, and additional sata drives are present, what could cause the computer to hang on "verifying dmi pool data" after the first reboot?

Computer Specs: Computer is very similar to the KRP; Althlon64 3200+, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, Asus EN6200, Chaintech AV-710, HD-3000, 1GB memory, 200GB pata Maxtor, and 6 misc sata drives. Motherboard bios updated to 1.19. Bios settings are as described in the dragon install guide with the exception of leaving the sata stuff enabled for my drives.

Description: Basically, if I have any sata drives attached during the install, the computer hangs on the reboot following initial install. If those sata drives are removed, and the sata settings in the bios are disabled, the machine still hangs at the same place. To have the computer not hang, I have to disconnect the sata drives, reset the bios, then disable all the sata stuff, then install. The computer will not hang, and the rest of the installation progresses smoothly, afterwhich I enable and attach the sata drives. Boot sequence settings are correct during the entire ordeal.

I can easily reproduce this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:44 am 
What chipset does your motherboard use? The problem is mostlikly with the drivers for the SATA controler. If you have six SATA drives I am guessing that your motherboard has the built in SATA ports and an extra SATA controler built into it? The compination of the two might not be compatable with debian linux at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:52 am 
ryanpatterson,

The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum uses the "NVIDIA NForce4 Ultra" chipset. The motherboard does have an extra SATA controller built into it, the Silicon Image Sil3114CT176.

I have four SATA drives plugged into the NForce4, and two SATA drives plugged into the Sil3114. I have no desire to use the raid functions, I will either use lvm, or symbolic links (not all the drives are used for myth).

I would be willing to install other debian based distros, as an experiment to determine if this is a more general problem. Would that be beneficial to anyone? If not, then I wont bother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:13 pm 
I just performed more experiments, and found that if I am using more than one SATA controller during auto install (R5B7) to a PATA drive, the computer hangs on "verifying dmi pool data" after the reboot. Here is what I tried; auto installing to a PATA drive, while trying different SATA controllers, with 4 sata drives. With four SATA drives on only the Nforce4, and all the other SATA bios stuff disabled, the install works just fine. Same thing for the Sil3114. With drives only on the Sil3114, and the others disabled, the install works fine. Also, I have a Promise Sata150 TX4 (4port sata controller), and it shows exactly the same behavior. With the drives attached to only the TX4, and all other SATA stuff disabled, the install works fine. As soon as you have a second SATA controller the computer hangs on the first reboot.

As far as getting the additional drives to work after the install, well that's off topic.

Thanks ryanpatterson for pointing me in the right direction!!!!
You saved me a head of hair!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:21 am 
mfieger wrote:
Thanks ryanpatterson for pointing me in the right direction!!!!
You saved me a head of hair!

No problem. Two SATA controlers does seem like a setup that many motherboards will have in the comming years. If this is a problem with the drivers in debian, I'm sure many people will be unhappy. Has anybody installed on a system with two or more SATA controlers enabled?