View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:22 pm 
My version of Knoppmyth is a few verisons back and I'm definately going to upgrade to the latest version. With all of the new features, I just can't help it.

Here's my quandry:

I'd actually prefer to do a clean install of R5B7, but I don't want to lose my recorded programs or my database. I've done quite a bit of customization to my current knoppmythtv but those arent as important to me. It'ss my current shows and databse that I want to keep.

It seems it would be best for me to do an upgrade to R5B7, let R5B7 upgrade the database, backup the database and TV files to another box, wipe it clean, do a fresh install, then restore the database and TV files. This the route I want to go unless I've missed something obvious. Which directories/files under R5B7 are essential to accomplish this task? I just dont want to have any of my old install hanging around to confuse things.

Thanks so much

EtherNut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:47 pm 
The standard backup/restore only uses a very limited selection of files. So you're already most of the way there with a auto upgrade. It wipes and replaces all of hda1, and the only things it keeps are what is in the backup and what is in you /myth partition.

On the other hand it might be a good time to reconfigure your disk space anyway since the cache partition is going away. Your plan sounds about right for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:41 pm 
So all I essentially need to back up is /myth and /var/lib/mysql after auto upgrade. Then after a clean install, stop mythbackend, stop mysql, replace the database under /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg, drop in my /myth/tv files and I'm golden right?

Just a sanity check here.. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:27 pm 
ethernut wrote:
I'd actually prefer to do a clean install of R5B7, but I don't want to lose my recorded programs or my database...I just dont want to have any of my old install hanging around to confuse things.

The Auto Upgrade option will actually do precisely that. As far as I have read (pls correct me if I am wrong though, anyone) upgrading to R5B7 should be no different to upgrading to any other version, except for the issue re. PVR-150 & PVR-500 tuners mentioned here http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9039 and that since the database schema has changed, unless you keep an extra backup of your old database, you won't be able to downgrade to a previous version again, in the unlikely event that you'd ever want to. So Ethernut, you should not have to go through the whole process you describe above - tjc, pls correct me if wrong :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:20 pm 
ethernut wrote:
So all I essentially need to back up is /myth and /var/lib/mysql after auto upgrade.

You're not getting the maximum cleanup if you save all of /myth. Save /myth/tv and possibly any other media you have (videos, music, ...) that you don't already have elsewhere. As for the DB, I'd use the backup scripts to dump it as a single file and then restore from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:29 am 
tjc wrote:
Save /myth/tv and possibly any other media you have (videos, music, ...) that you don't already have elsewhere.
I must be missing something here - is there any reason at all (other than the usual paranoia associated with a major upgrade) to save any of /myth, when the Auto Upgrade procedure doesn't touch the /myth partition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:47 am 
It wouldn't be much of an upgrade is /myth were lost now would it?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:14 am 
Ralph wrote:
I must be missing something here - is there any reason at all (other than the usual paranoia associated with a major upgrade) to save any of /myth, when the Auto Upgrade procedure doesn't touch the /myth partition?

Yes, you are missing Ethernut's intent. There are other things besides the recordings which might get carried over, fore example old MythBurn installs under /myth, configuration things under /home/mythtv, /etc/modules, /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv, ... His intent is to end up with essentially a clean "from scratch" install state and only carry over his recordings and the associated DB records.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:42 am 
I appreciate the reply cesman! tjc is correct, I was just wanting to do some house cleaning. I was able to do the upgrade but have a new problem... :D

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9073

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:53 am 
The problem in my previous post is solved. ...and Gawd to I feel like an idiot! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:18 am 
Thanks tjc, I understand Ethernut's intent better now thanks to your explanation.
cesman wrote:
Touche...actually my /myth/tv and /myth/video are on an external samba share, so there's little chance of an upgrade adversely affecting them. (A Windows crash might though :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:29 pm 
Ralph wrote:
Thanks tjc, I understand Ethernut's intent better now thanks to your explanation.
cesman wrote:
Touche...actually my /myth/tv and /myth/video are on an external samba share, so there's little chance of an upgrade adversely affecting them. (A Windows crash might though :roll: )

Okay, forgive me if this is a topic hijacking, but...
If I want to save my recordings on my R5A22 backend (/myth/tv) and save my mythconverg db, upgrade to R5B7 but still follow ethernut's idea of wiping the old drive and doing a fresh install...

...AND...my /myth partition is part of a two-disk LVM...!

er...this may sound paranoid somewhat...I'm just thinking about reclaiming the space used by /cache...

how would one go about that? follow ethernut's plan, use the new lvm script...offer animal sacrifice to the gOds' of Myth?

-sTv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:39 pm 
Since you're already LVM then you're halfway there. Do the upgrade which will leave the DB and the entire /myth structure in tact then whack your cache partition and make it LVM, grow your exisiting LVM to that space and you're golden.